Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Play A Hand With Me: WSOP Qualifier

Patrick 'paddyjim' is offline Senior Member

Well, he bet all 3 streets, so he likes his hand. A call on the end preserves your tournament life if he has you beat.
    Don't take life too seriously - you'll never get out of it alive

Queso is offline Check To The Possible

Default Play A Hand With Me: WSOP Qualifier

Tthis is my problem, though. Only two hands beat me! Pocket eights, and pocket fours. Okay, I guess and whatever pocket pair would've matched up with the turn. As unlikely as that would have been. There's like 17 other hands he could plausibly have, based on the betting, that I beat! I mean, with what hands does he limp/call me with there 3 preflop? and then donk bet every street with? Surely not a set. That would be ridiculous!
    Here's a list of hands that, in my mind, perfectly fit his limp/call/donk betting pattern--all of which I beat on the river:
    AT (which I tie with, but have a turn card freeroll on)
    KT
    QT
    JT
    J9s
    T9s
    T8s
    AA
    KK
    QQ
    JJ

And of course, the sets, 88 and 44, which beat me, but make no sense for him not to slow play. I think the turn was something like the three of hearts, So throw the extremely unlikely pocket threes in there as well I guess.

That's 12 plausible hands I beat, and three that I don't. How can you not bet for value there?

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

I'm too lazy to look, doesn't T8 beat you? I thought there was an 8 on the board...
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

Yes, you're right.

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

I can see why you raised on the river and I'd have probably done the same thing. It's one of those situations where you're counting the chips, convinced you're ahead and thinking how to extract maximum value, etc... swiftly followed by a feeling of shock and dismay when you see he had you beat all along. We've all been there.

The only positive is that now you know what his donk bet means. If he had slow-played like most people would then you'd have lost a fair chunk of change anyway. In fact, the way he played it gave you an opportunity to limit the loss by simply calling on the river. I'd like to say I'd only have called his river bet, but I can see why you raised. Unlucky.

Thanks for the thoughts, guys...
    In retrospect, I should have reraised his ass on the flop and found out how serious he was. Then I would've known in a hurry.
    Failing that, I should have jammed it on the turn with all my outs. Donk bets scream weakness, not strength.
    I wish I could credit this guy with some genius play. But I can't. However, I think I'll take this line myself next time against a good player, LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2