Thread: Observation based call.

J_Verschueren is offline They call me "J"

Default Observation based call.

Please ignore the sniper behind the tree...

First hand of 300/150/25 blinds. Player 6 is a reg and had taken every opportunity to steal all-in from late middle or late position for the last two levels, effectively reducing my steal opportunities to zero. On my big blind I had K8s, so I was ready to snap him off, but there was a 4-bet all-in in front, so we both had to fold. My SB was 26o, so I gave that up to him and BB didn't look him up.

So now we're here and I'm thinking: "there is no way on God's green Earth I'm not ahead of his range", and: "I'm 11th out of 14 w/ 6.5BB, I have to roll the dice at some point", so I clicked call and it turns out Player 1 had "call any" pre-selected.

Opinions on whether this was +Ev in the long run?

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

I assume this is a 45-man, top 7 pay?

If your read is that the CO is pushing wide, say 25% of hands at the least, then I like this move. For how you make it sound he might have been even wider. Yep, its time.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

bambini is offline Senior Member

Default Observation based call.

Seems like a reasonable play to me. You were short stacked so your options were limited, and holding an ace with an OK-ish kicker is as good a spot as any to get your chips in. Plus you're quite right to think you were probably ahead of your villain.

In an ideal world you'd have been able to jam from a spot where it was just the 2 of you in the hand, but as I said, your options were limited.
    "Never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city" - Coach Finstock, Teen Wolf

Queso is offline Check To The Possible

In general terms, I always prefer to be first in on a shove and not to call off my tournament if I can help it. In this particular case, it wouldn't have mattered, as the BB had aces so even if it was folded around to you and you shoved A9, you were screwed.

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

Quote Originally Posted by Queso View Post
    In general terms, I always prefer to be first in on a shove and not to call off my tournament if I can help it. In this particular case, it wouldn't have mattered, as the BB had aces so even if it was folded around to you and you shoved A9, you were screwed.
    I'm with Q here, however preserving what fold equity we still had is more important in this case. If the CO was more of a nit I'd say wait for a better spot.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content