Thread: I keep remembering this old hand...

nobetter is offline Senior Member

Default I keep remembering this old hand...

This was almost 1.5 years ago. Somehow this was the strangest hand I ever played. I still can't figure out whether I was judging the situation correctly or whether I was just taking too much risk because of being caught up in the moment and in a stupid way.

The situation was such: A MTT NL Tourney, about 1500 players with a small buy-in, no rebuys, mid-phase
    I had joined this table about 10 hands earlier, at this point the villain had over 300,000 chips, I had 50,000. In a short time I figured he was feeling invincible with this many chips. He seemed to play almost any hand, it looked like he was trying to bust us. When the blinds were at 4000 and I was about to get desperate I tried a shove, and he called me down with an Ace Rag, I doubled up. Just after that he went all-in during two consecutive hands, with 89s and q3o. It seemed to me like he was tilting.

After the showdown he called me a donk and pretended I had hit a one-outer. At least this shows he was probably more stupid than I was.
    Last edited by nobetter; Jan 19th, 2013 at 10:09 AM.

J_Verschueren is offline They call me "J"

6-max tournament? -approximately how far from the money were you?

nobetter is offline Senior Member

yep 6-max. sorry I didn't put all information in the op, but I tried to keep it short.

This was just before the cash ranks, but the payout structure was very flat, I think I would have won about 1$ when dropping out just after the bubble. Unfortunately HEM somehow doesn't track tournament buyins and payouts on ongame. Tbh now that I think about it, it must have been a 1$-tourney, because you only won about 12$ for 10th place. One point regarding this hand was that I tried to think beyond the bubble because I wanted to go for the higher cash ranks. I made 3rd place (my biggest tourney success) and won about 60$.

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

Hehe, well, you were ahead when the money went in. :)

I would have open-shoved, KQo is more than good enough. You are really too shallow to just open like you did, especially with a CFC behind you.

EDIT: Oh, forgot... CFC is a guy that can't seem to fold. CFC = Can't Fold a Chair (let alone a hand).
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

J_Verschueren is offline They call me "J"

Quote Originally Posted by nobetter View Post
    yep 6-max. sorry I didn't put all information in the op, but I tried to keep it short.

This was just before the cash ranks, but the payout structure was very flat, I think I would have won about 1$ when dropping out just after the bubble. Unfortunately HEM somehow doesn't track tournament buyins and payouts on ongame. Tbh now that I think about it, it must have been a 1$-tourney, because you only won about 12$ for 10th place. One point regarding this hand was that I tried to think beyond the bubble because I wanted to go for the higher cash ranks. I made 3rd place (my biggest tourney success) and won about 60$.
    Like Rycky says, just ship it in pre-flop. KQo is a decent hand from the hi-jack, your stack is still big enough to cripple or bust everyone behind, so you're not going to get called all that often except maybe by the BB (if he's good enough to realise his best shot at decent money now is to call all-in w/ decent equity against a shipping range and he has the hand to do it with). One could make a case for min-raise folding to any all-in but the BB, but I'll say it again: I don't like that play at the micro's as one gets flatted way too much. 11BB is no longer enough for a normal raise, imo.

As played, I don't like the c-bet on this flop. It's too much of your stack and you won't get enough folds on this fairly co÷rdinated board, but it got the money in and the board ran out in my favourite fashion: suckout and re-suckout.

Good attitude to look towards the big payouts. Mincashing a tournament is not worth the time and effort and should be something which happens accidentally.

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

11BBs is never enough (OK, maybe not NEVER, but really close to it) to simply open raise IMO, no matter what level. In the micros you do get flatted too much. Higher up if you show you can raise/fold with this stack any decent player will rob you blind with resteals. Yes, it does go deeper than that with ranges, bet sizing, ICM-situations, blah blah blah but the math generally would say you just can't raise/fold profitably unless you have an exact read on someone that says you are crushed.

And yes... go for 1st. If you min-cash, so be it. If you bust on the bubble, try again. Maximize your equity.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content