Thread: What do you do here?

Patrick 'paddyjim' is offline Senior Member

Default What do you do here?

Live tournament, blinds 600/1200 with a 100 ante, next level will be 800/1600 with a 200 ante, average stack is 96,000, the hero (me) has 60,000, still a long way from the money!

I think my image is pretty tight.

I raise UTG with QQ to 3,000. 2 mid-position callers (both loose players). SB (fairly new to the table, but obviously knows the two loose players) raises to 11,000.

What should I do? (All the other three players in the hand have me well covered)

(a) Fold
    (b) Call
    (c) Raise to 20,000 with the intention of folding to a shove
    (d) Raise to 20,000 with the intention of calling a shove
    (e) Move all-in
    (f) Something else
    Don't take life too seriously - you'll never get out of it alive

bambini is offline Senior Member

Tough spot. Given that it's still early stages, I'f be reluctant to overcommit to the pot. On the other hand, pocket queens is too good to toss.

I'd call and hope the 2 behind me fold. If they do, you're only against one opponent and your next move is simpler. If you end up 3 or 4 ways to the flop then I'd play cautiously. I would fold to a c-bet unless the flop helps me or my queens are still an overpair.

It's a somewhat passive play, but I think it's best in this spot.
    "Never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city" - Coach Finstock, Teen Wolf

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

Hmmm, I honestly don't know what I'd do in this spot. I guess it comes down to your read of the SB. It's all the more tricky because he's new to the table. This means he doesn't have much of a read on your play either. As for your options, I'm flitting between (c) and (e).

Queso is offline Check To The Possible

Fold. I wouldn't min-reraise here. I'm not blowing 1/3 my stack after the SB has seen a raise from EP with two callers and has raised again himself. Sure, it could just be a dead money grab but if I reraise here, and he shoves, I have to fold because I'm not interested in flipping for my tourney right now.
    I'm not blowing a third of my stack to find out how serious he is. And I'm certainly not shoving to find out.
    Fold. You have nothing invested in the hand. If he gets called, then you get some free information.

Patrick 'paddyjim' is offline Senior Member

Thanks guys!

On reflection, I think folding is probably the right move. My UTG raise looks very strong and yet he still reraises. I think I should have folded and just waited for a better spot.

Calling was an option too, but am I calling to set mine or to get it in on a low flop?

Making a small reraise lets me know how serious he is, but as Queso says I'm putting in 1/3 of my stack to find out where I am.

On reflection, moving all-in is pretty gross, but I'm afraid that's what I did.

He had AA, and I got no help. (For interest, the board had no high cards).

GG
    Don't take life too seriously - you'll never get out of it alive

Queso is offline Check To The Possible

FWIW, his move is very consistent with AA or KK. Yes, it can just look like a savvy chip grab on his part and maybe it is, but you have to spend too much to find out. If you are calling, it IS only to set mine, because what do you know on a low card flop that you didn't know before when he shoves? That you might be behind AA or KK. Even AK I wouldn't want to be up against.
    Do I hate folding QQ here?
    Yes.

J_Verschueren is offline They call me "J"

Quote Originally Posted by Queso View Post
    FWIW, his move is very consistent with AA or KK. Yes, it can just look like a savvy chip grab on his part and maybe it is, but you have to spend too much to find out. If you are calling, it IS only to set mine, because what do you know on a low card flop that you didn't know before when he shoves? That you might be behind AA or KK. Even AK I wouldn't want to be up against.
    Do I hate folding QQ here?
    Yes.
    You nailed it. I don't hate Paddy's ship, but, for that, I would have liked it much better if the re-raise had come in response to him isolating the loose players. Personally, fold or ship, leaning towards fold (and hating it).

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

IMO, the answer is either A or E.... usually. C is horrible. D is great if you also have AA, horrible otherwise since you would want to isolate the SB, not invite the MP callers. B, see below.

How many chips did this guy have to start with?

Calling another 8k isn't horrible IF you could about guarantee he had AA and he had enough chips to pay you off. Yes, you'd be set-mining with QQ but if you had that exact read you'd get true odds (7.5:1) to try it. You also have a bloated pot with the two extra callers. One issue with this plan is you'd also have to be pretty certain the two MP players are not liable to reraise/shove behind you.

In a live game this does smell like an AA raise, online I probably shove and live with it... I'v seen AK/JJ here way too often online.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content