Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Tournament Log

Queso is offline Check To The Possible

Default 5/9/12 "Wacky Wednesday" $50 Tournament, 33 runners

#7.

Pfftt... not my night. Consciously trying to find more spots to aggressively pick up chips. Nothing worked out. Finally had to shove 88, ran into QQ; that was that.

It seems almost every time I'm short stacked and know I have to shove, I get some pocket pair or AK or something UTG or close to it. Invariably someone is just waiting to pick me off with a bigger hand. I know I'm doing the 'correct' thing but I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't shove more marginally sooner from LP instead of stronger but badly OOP.

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

Quote Originally Posted by Queso View Post
    I know I'm doing the 'correct' thing but I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't shove more marginally sooner from LP instead of stronger but badly OOP.
    You are correct. Its more due to the need of preserving your fold equity than anything else but I think you already know this. The tighter you think these guys are, the looser your LP shoves can be. I wouldn't go overboard though.

I do not know what you mean by "stronger but badly OOP". Also, how long are you waiting until you feel you are in push/fold?
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

J_Verschueren is offline They call me "J"

#7.

<snip>

It seems almost every time I'm short stacked and know I have to shove, I get some pocket pair or AK or something UTG or close to it. Invariably someone is just waiting to pick me off with a bigger hand. I know I'm doing the 'correct' thing but I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't shove more marginally sooner from LP instead of stronger but badly OOP.
    Highlighted the operative word, because it only seems that way. Seemingly improbably long stints where "you just can't win" or "keep running into monsters" are just the nature of variance. Don't fall for that trap by changing your play, because that's how bad habits develop.

Playing live I imagine it will be more frustrating than online because actually playing the tournaments involves considerable effort and you can't just shrug and put yourself down for the next tourney while you tend to your other tables, but I wouldn't I go chasing small edges from LP if I felt I was one of the best players in the tournement. Spots with a better risk/reward ratio are bound to come along. Shipping eights or AK early, e.g., that's one of the perks of the push/fold style: because you'll ship J7s BvB you sort of get to ship your good hands for value regardless of where you happen to be sitting in relation to the button.

Quote Originally Posted by RyckyRych View Post

I do not know what you mean by "stronger but badly OOP". Also, how long are you waiting until you feel you are in push/fold?
    I mean I'm tired of shipping hands that I know I need to ship (because of stack size, because of knowing that I cannot afford to wait), even though it always seems I get them in EP so I have the entire table to plow through in hopes of holding up. And someone's always sitting there with KK or QQ or something, and three/four hours of solid work is down the drain. Of course, I could shove from the button when it's been folded around, and still run into AA or whatever in the blinds.

Just sayin'.

J is right, it just 'seems' this way, but it does get old in live play. So what I meant was, when I'm, say, 13bb's or less, maybe I should start shoving hands like Q7 or something from LP instead of mucking that hand and waiting for something stronger.

But I'm an Ouroboros; a snake eating it's own tail. When I was shipping hands like that, I bemoaned my early exits, and wondered whether I should have more patience and wait for better hands.

I mean I'm tired of shipping hands that I know I need to ship (because of stack size, because of knowing that I cannot afford to wait), even though it always seems I get them in EP so I have the entire table to plow through in hopes of holding up. And someone's always sitting there with KK or QQ or something, and three/four hours of solid work is down the drain. Of course, I could shove from the button when it's been folded around, and still run into AA or whatever in the blinds.

Just sayin'.

J is right, it just 'seems' this way, but it does get old in live play. So what I meant was, when I'm, say, 13bb's or less, maybe I should start shoving hands like Q7 or something from LP instead of mucking that hand and waiting for something stronger.

But I'm an Ouroboros; a snake eating it's own tail. When I was shipping hands like that, I bemoaned my early exits, and wondered whether I should have more patience and wait for better hands.
    We should talk over Skype soon.

Lol.

Now I feel like I'm getting called to the principal's office.

I'll see if I can figure out how to get back on Skype and give you a shout one of these nights.
    Last edited by Queso; May 11th, 2012 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Verschueren View Post
    Don't fall for that trap by changing your play, because that's how bad habits develop.
    Really good point, and of course; you're exactly right.

I know when to ship and what to ship; what I need to do is stop worrying about it after the fact.

Thanks guys

Of course, I'd be happy to talk on Skype about poker, or whatever, with everyone, anytime.

We need a conference call.

Faustus Fotherby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by RyckyRych View Post
    Of course, I'd be happy to talk on Skype about poker, or whatever, with everyone, anytime.

We need a conference call.
    I've always wanted to get in on a Skype chat during the Pokerology forum tournaments but unfortunately I work till 18:00 GMT on Saturdays so there's not really any chance of me making them anymore

We've done that, still would too.

I mean just a get-together in general, talking about any hands or situations as a group. A discussion group or something, no leader or what-not, just friends and peers helping each other with poker stuff.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast