Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tim
  • 1 Post By Jgallegos_23

Thread: Pride Issues

Default Pride Issues

Hey, This dose not happen all the time, but enough that I feel it is a serious leak in my game. So ill just get right to it.

I find myself playing very well, making almost text book plays against various types of opponents. I will get a player heads up. Most of the time someone I know I can outplay w/ anything. Then that player shows slight aggression. At this point I still feel like I can steal the pot from them. They continue. Most of the time here I figure out I am beat and make the lay down, but sometimes this is where I get into trouble, at some point during the hand my pride takes over and I refuse/ can't see that I need to lay down the hand. And I keep going and basically give away my stack now to villains value bet. Some time I am able to stop the bleeding there and re focus but most of the time I get tilted @ this point and just become that guy that we all love.

Has anyone had this issue and conquered it or in the process of conquering it? Any advice would be helpful, and appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

J.

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

Hi J.

It's interesting that you said "most of the time I get tilted at this point", when in fact you were already on tilt... as in letting emotion (pride) cloud your decision making. I think a lot of players suffer from this form of tilt. After all, poker is a game steeped in machismo.

The good news is that you're aware of the problem. The obvious solution is to take a break and stop playing until you calm down and refocus. A better solution would be to acknowledge that everyone catches a hand sometimes and there's no shame in folding. You can't win every hand. I'm sure you already know this, so I'm kind of stating the obvious, but that's the only thing you can really do. Notice the trigger and deal with it differently. How you deal with it, well... only you can figure that out.

Good luck.
    Jgallegos_23 likes this.

Thanks, I am definitely working on trying to detect the trigger early. I read another article after posting this about "life tilt" and one of the things that it talked about is what sets me off in regular life, recognizing it, and working through it. My number 1 has to be being cut off in traffic/ people not making good choices while driving. For the past week I have worked extensively on this and noticed a huge attitude change in myself. The main focus being I can't change what other people are going to do and they will do what they want when they want regardless. My anger is not going to change it. So translating this into my tilt issue they are going to show up with hands, fighting with them when they are set on playing those hands is not going to make things better for me. Just get out of the way let them be reckless and VB them when I know I have it.

Thanks for the replay

J.
    Tim likes this.

Laa Mok is offline Junior Member

I understand exactly where you're coming from. I recommend that you take a look at The Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler.

Any time you think your mind is playing tricks on you re-read these books to get back on the right track. They worked wonders for the rate I improved at.