Thread: SNG: How to deal the coup de grace?

Shulgi is offline Junior Member

Default SNG: How to deal the coup de grace?

I'm a beginner, just getting the hang of micro 9 hand SNGs, and now frequently find myself leading, but can't sustain the lead. Also, when I do get to the last 2 or 3 I'm at a loss for a strategy to put my foot on throats, and end up second or third when I should have carried my lead through to a win. Any suggestions?

J_Verschueren is offline They call me "J"
    Antwerp, Belgium

Hard to say without observing your play, but let me say this: generally speaking, wanting to lead from the front is not the best strategy in STT's.

If you're good at identifying weak players, mixing it up with them and getting chips out of them, that may be an asset in multi-table sit&go's, but the risk/reward ratio is not there in the single table setting. The goal for the early stages is simply to get to the bubble with a decent sized stack (10BB or more), with as little risk of elimination as possible.
    The bubble is the time to put "foot on throats", as you put it, and turn the aversion to elimination to your advantage.
    Once in the money, you need to remain aggressive, but you need to be selective, either in terms of hand range or spot. The people you're playing for the most part (sit&go's are a very noob-unfriendly game) will have pre-occupied themselves with getting to the business end of the sit&go first. They know you've been "speeding" and they've basically let you (because it eliminates players without risk to their chipstack). Now, however, they can adjust their calling range to gain an edge on you and, even if they lose, they're still getting payed. So, that's why, suddenly, you can't control the table anymore. Basically, more experienced players are letting you do the work for them and then picking you off by exploiting your tendency to want to dominate.
    For the times you make it to heads-up, Google "sit and go endgame", as this will introduce you to the concepts of "equilibrium" and unexploitable play.

Anyhow, what are you doing wrong and which adjustments to your game will it take to make your results reflect your perceived command of the game and the table? Hard to tell, some of it is going to be hand selection, situational awareness, strategy errors (i.e. thinking about the wrong things at the wrong times) and just plain misunderstanding the game dynamic. Could you post a couple of hand histories where you think you lost the plot and "gave it away"?
    Last edited by J_Verschueren; Jun 30th, 2015 at 01:16 AM.