Thread: Question for those "Actually" making money

brushout is offline Junior Member

Default Question for those "Actually" making money

Please do not answer if you are not receiving checks in the mail from playing online poker........

I have been playing in poker rooms since my early 20s and have always done well, no actually very well. I have since moved to an area where the nearest poker room is several hours away. By the time I drive there and back, I am already in the hole (food, room, gas, you get the picture).

So I find it much easier to log on and play online. I have been playing online now for six months and have not made any headway. I deposited $1000 six months ago and I am sitting on $1020 right now. It has been a constant lose $40 make $40 kind of deal.

I guess I am the only on complaining about not losing money. At this point I think I would have rather lost it than spend three hours a day for the last six months for $20. At least then I could say internet poker sucks and go back to making the long haul to the poker room.

Any advise?

J_Verschueren is offline They call me "J"

Well, technically I don't qualify to answer this as I don't make regular cashouts (still slowly building a roll from scratch and currently on an hiatus due to my current family situation), however, through my experiences as a player and a poker forum moderator, I think I can safely say I know how it's done. For me, or anyone else here, to help you, though, we're going to need a lot more info.

Which poker variant do you play? -which game type do you play (cash/SNG/MTT)? -which site do you play on? -which stakes do you play at? -how many tables do you play? -what size tables? -do you use tracking software? -what's the rake/bonus/rewards system like where you play? -because, like you say, you start out in the hole, even online you have to at least win enough to pay the rake and, on some sites at certain stakes, that's plenty hard to do.

Generating any meaningfull profit on a $1000 roll/deposit in general is going to be hard, even if you do manage to do sick volume. Which, imo., is not something you can teach yourself to do by playing part time over a period of six months, but at least you have a head start through your live experience.
    Last edited by J_Verschueren; May 4th, 2015 at 02:33 AM.

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

Either you A. Are not as good as you thought or B. Just going thru an adjustment period/break even stretch. Since I assume you are playing cash games I don't have the experience in grinding those but have you considered moving down in stakes for a little while? Maybe the competition is just a little too tough to turn a profit right now. Just an idea to try and "break the cycle" so to speak.

Is it impossible to grow a profit from a $1000 roll? Not at all, just takes time. I'm glad I didn't start out with anywhere near that much, the temptation might have been too great to play over my roll.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

brushout is offline Junior Member

Default Honesty

After posting out of frustration, I started to take a good look at my playing habits. I play on Bovada. I only play one table at a time. I mostly play cash games (micro .05/.10), with a few $10 to $20 9 ring SNGs sprinkled in.

So with that said, I think I found the issue. I will play 6 seat cash games to build my bank roll up to about $100 over my 1K, then for some crazy reason I start playing the SNGs until I am down to about $850 . Then I play the cash games again until I am up $100 or so over the initial 1K. This cycle usually take about a month.
    Then I start all over, for six months.
    I usually place first or second in the SNG when I do place. About 1 out of 6.

I think I will stay away from the SNGs.

I have not played any poker since my post.
    Last edited by brushout; May 5th, 2015 at 03:00 AM.

bambini is offline Senior Member

Default Question for those "Actually" making money

I think what you're suggesting is wise. There's a vast difference between cash and tourney play, and it sounds like your style and skills are more suited to cash games.

I'm starting to think that I might be a cash game player too, as I seem to fare better in them, but I enjoy SnGs more.
    "Never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city" - Coach Finstock, Teen Wolf

Glad you found the answer. SNGs are fun (and was my preferred game) but they are a completely different animal than cash. I used to love Bodog/Bovada for the turbo MTTs... ah, the memories.

J_Verschueren is offline They call me "J"

Ok, so you were one-tabling and mixing game types, that's sort of good news as you won't have experienced enough hands at either to draw fixed conclusions based on your results. That said, if I understand you correctly, only cashing between 20 and 30% of the time in sit&go's is pretty poor, ideally you should be nearer to cashing 40% of the time. So it might be prudent to leave those to one side for the moment. Or drop in stakes; the skill level online is not consitent with regard to buy-ins. The overall opponent quality will be better in $10,- sit&go's than at 10NL cash tables. I would say the equivalent buy-in level for sit&go's would be $3,-.
    If you want to learn how to be proficient at sit&go's there's a lot of relevant information in the sticky threads over on the STT forum on 2+2 (as well as articles on Pokerology itself) and Rycky and myself can help you along.

If you want to see first hand what it's like to build a roll and make money online, I suggest you take a look at the "Microstakes bankroll challenge" and "Low stakes bankroll challenge" playlists on this YouTube channel. Notice this guy resides in Canada and thus has access to a lot more poker sites, with better loyalty programs than you do (a loyalty program is pretty much non-existant at Bovada), but this situation might improve for US players over the coming years.

So, if you want to make online poker your thing: emigrate! -but, seriously though, as a short- to midterm plan, I would suggest sticking to cash, working your way up to playing the maximum of 4 tables Bovada allows and then start mixing in some 20NL.

Gee, I have a cashout method video here somewhere...