Thread: how should I have played this hand?

Spela is offline Junior Member

Default how should I have played this hand?

Should I have folded the hand instead of going to Show Down? (me being X)

Dealt to X (me) [Js Qc]
    A: folds
    B: folds
    C: folds
    D: folds
    E: raises $0.04 to $0.06
    Y: calls $0.06
    F: folds
    X: calls $0.04
    *** FLOP *** [Ks Ts 9s]
    X: bets $0.06
    E: folds
    Y: raises $0.06 to $0.12
    X: raises $0.06 to $0.18
    Y: calls $0.06
    *** TURN *** [Ks Ts 9s] [8s]
    X: bets $0.40
    Y: raises $0.25 to $0.65 and is all-in
    X: calls $0.25
    *** RIVER *** [Ks Ts 9s 8s] [6c]
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    X: shows [Js Qc] (a flush, King high)
    Y: shows [Kd Qs] (a flush, King high - Queen higher)
    Y collected $1.79 from pot

bambini is offline Senior Member

Interesting hand. Think I need more information before I can reply fully though. Firstly, am I right in assuming this is a cash game, and that you're the big blind? What size stacks do you, player E and player Y have at the start of the hand? What do you know about players E and Y? Are they loose, tight, bluffy or calling stations?

The reason I ask is because these are all important questions to consider before entering a hand, especially with an off-suit trouble hand that you'll be playing out of position.

Sorry for not giving you a straight answer. I'm aware that you've put this post into the "beginners' questions" section, so I'm happy to talk through all of the above stuff in detail if you're not familiar with things like trouble hands, position and implied odds. Many beginners don't think about these factors (I know I didn't when I started out) but they're key if you want to improve your game.
    "Never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city" - Coach Finstock, Teen Wolf

J_Verschueren is offline They call me "J"

Indeed, stakes, position, stacksizes and opponent tendencies are important factors in deciding whether to enter a hand.

At a glance I can be ok with seeing a flop, but from then on things go downhill in a hurry. You've flopped the (almost) nuts, so you need to get effective stacks in (someone having flopped a flush is unlikely and, even if they have, you may have a redraw). This is not accomplished by betting less than 1/3rd pot and then minraising a minraise.
    Given the action, the turn lead is really bad, as is the sizing. Why suddenly bet 2/3rds pot when a bad card rolls off for you? -the hands which will give you action on the flop are almost certainly hands which have or in them, QJ (split) or KT, TT, 99 and AA. The latters will probably shut down on an turn, so any bet is only going to get called/raised by better. The sizing is awfull because of how little villain has left. With full stacks you might fold to a shove, but now you're just forcing yourself to call off.

How could you have played this better? -any number of ways by, as Bambini said, taking a bigger picture approach from the start. Where you went wrong, certainly at microstakes, is not going after value when you almost certainly had the best hand and a lot of action killer turn cards could come.

bambini is offline Senior Member

Agreed, J. From what I can glean, a preflop call might be OK, dependent on the factors I listed. Donk betting on the flop seems reasonable, but given that you've got a dangerous board and 2 people to act after you, I'd make my bet around 3/4s of the pot. You want to make it a mistake for your opponents to call if they're drawing because you're not giving them good odds.

Personally though, I'd probably go for a big check-raise. That way you can get an extra bet.

I agree with J on the turn play. Although completing a flush looks like you've improved your hand, it's actually bad news because your opponents have probably improved too. Depending on stack sizes though, you might have been pot committed, so calling would've been inevitable.

In summary, then, it looks as though your flop play was where you made mistakes.
    "Never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city" - Coach Finstock, Teen Wolf

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

Bah, its a cash game so I guess calling preflop is fine. After that? I'd bet more like .10-.12 if you are going to bet at all. I might have tried for the check raise but with such a scary board coming out firing feels right, you needed to bet more though. If he reraises, get it all in and make him pay to draw since microplayers would simply call if they flopped it.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

Queso is offline Check To The Possible

lol. I shove the flop. Effective stacks are .65? Shove it. If anyone has you beat with a flush already, you have the J for a possible redraw. If anyone doesn't have the flush already, (and only anyone with the A or Q of spades could even consider calling), then make them pay their entire stack to hit it.

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

Pot was .20 preflop, effective stack at the time was like .83 or something, not knowing the one guy would fold.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

Spela is offline Junior Member

Thank you all for taking the time and trouble to answer this question from a beginner. I will study you advices and keep them in mind! (I have by now also read most of Brunson’s Supersystem 2 and understand how little I know about poker…and how much I have to learn)