Thread: Poker Practice

662 is offline Junior Member

Default Poker Practice

Whats up? I'm looking for sites that I can practice playing Hold'em or Omaha for free. Do yall know of any good ones? I'm just learning to play and I am in the US.

Thanks

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

I would recommend Poker Stars for free money play. You won't be able to play for real money on Poker Stars due to your location, but it's the biggest online poker site so there are plenty of play money tables.

zen2poker is offline Junior Member

I play free at Poker Stars, but it's not very challenging. There's a site I like more for free poker called Replay Poker. The players play much better because they play a lot of tournaments, both full ring and six max. It's more realistic. But it's all No Limit, if that's a problem. They also have ring games and sit n gos.
    https://www.replaypoker.com/ if you're interested.
    Last edited by zen2poker; Dec 22nd, 2014 at 01:57 AM.

662 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by zen2poker View Post
    I play free at Poker Stars, but it's not very challenging. There's a site I like more for free poker called Replay Poker. The players play much better because they play a lot of tournaments, both full ring and six max. It's more realistic. But it's all No Limit, if that's a problem. They also have ring games and sit n gos.
    https://www.replaypoker.com/ if you're interested.
    Thanks....I'll check the site out. The no limit part isn't a problem because I'm just learning.

J_Verschueren is offline They call me "J"

The main thing as a beginning player is to not make an account on a major pokersite or -network. If you're ever going to seriously get into online poker, you're going to be wanting a rakeback deal and then not having existing accounts is a major advantage.

Tim

That's an outdated viewpoint. Rakeback is dead (unless you're including mickey mouse operators)!

Of course it would be nice if people supported Pokerology. Here's a list of the top online poker rooms:

Top Online Poker Rooms of 2014

It's a short list... because crappy online poker rooms don't deserve a mention.

BarraBod is offline Junior Member

Rake back is dead? People make a living off rake back alone! I find rake bCk helps my BR quite well every week.
    Too weird to live, too rare to die

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by BarraBod View Post
    Rake back is dead? People make a living off rake back alone! I find rake bCk helps my BR quite well every week.
    Yes, I stand by what I said about rakeback being dead. To clarify... I'm referring to the affiliate based rakeback model whereby players only get rakeback by signing up via an affiliate.

Full Tilt were the biggest site to give rakeback of this kind. If you signed-up via Pokerology then you'd have gotten rakeback. They are now owned by PokerStars who have never had a pure rakeback system. Both these two have an in-house VIP / loyalty system.

The other major rakeback-friendly rooms were Ultimate Bet and Absolute Poker. They went bust a while ago, thankfully. Other rooms have switched from affiliate based rakeback to in-house VIP rewards, etc. There are still some sites that do offer rakeback but most of these are not worth mentioning / trusting with your money, IMO.

As for making a living off rakeback - well, if we're including VIP rewards, then yes I'm sure some people do... provided they are break-even or very slightly -EV players and do huge volume.

brushout is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 662 View Post
    Whats up? I'm looking for sites that I can practice playing Hold'em or Omaha for free. Do yall know of any good ones? I'm just learning to play and I am in the US.

Thanks
    I know you said free, but free usually means a lot of 4 6 off suite all ins. it is not much better at the micro level. In my opinion you have to have something at stake to make the game more realistic. Bovada and bet online are two good sites for US players. I now play at Bovada exclusively and I live in FL.

Hope this helps

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

True. Play money is... well, you might as well play on Zynga. Bovada would be a good choice. Juicy Stakes is US friendly, they gave me a random $5 a couple months back for some reason, yet I've only played once. Bet Online I'm not familiar with at all.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content