Thread: Omaha to play or not play

662 is offline Junior Member

Default Omaha to play or not play

Whats up everyone? I'm new to the poker world, been doing some reading and video watching to get a better understanding of the game. I see a lot of talk about Hold'em everywhere but not so much about Omaha(not without searching for it). Is Omaha harder to play then Hold'em and why? Should a beginner play Omaha? The reason I ask this is because I have a friend that plays Omaha with his buddies and he is trying to get me to learn and play. But I'm kind of iffy about playing Omaha with them...one because I'm new to poker and two because of all the cards that are dealt at one time. 6 to 9 people playing and everyone is getting dealt 4 cards thats like 36 cards out there. To me that seem like the odds are against you already....but I'm dont know any better. So again...should I stay away from Omaha as a beginner or play?

Thanks

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

I would definitely recommend playing Omaha. It's a great game! I personally prefer Omaha/8, which is even more fun. Also, playing other variants of poker will help your game overall.... which can only be a good thing.

Omaha is harder than Texas hold'em, but not that much. I know a lot of beginners get a bit apprehensive about playing Omaha, but there's no reason for this. There are of course some key differences between the variants so you should certainly read up on these before playing. Here's a basic overview:

How to Play Omaha | Pokerology.com

(I just realised we have some unpublished material on Omaha, including some videos - so I'm sorry there isn't more at the moment.)

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

662 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I would definitely recommend playing Omaha. It's a great game! I personally prefer Omaha/8, which is even more fun. Also, playing other variants of poker will help your game overall.... which can only be a good thing.

Omaha is harder than Texas hold'em, but not that much. I know a lot of beginners get a bit apprehensive about playing Omaha, but there's no reason for this. There are of course some key differences between the variants so you should certainly read up on these before playing. Here's a basic overview:

How to Play Omaha | Pokerology.com

(I just realised we have some unpublished material on Omaha, including some videos - so I'm sorry there isn't more at the moment.)

Good luck and let us know how you get on!
    Thanks