Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New books!

bambini is offline Senior Member

Default New books!

So it was my birthday last week. My brothers gave me a copy of Harrington on Hold'em (Vol 1) and Harrington on Cash Games (Vol 1). Haven't started reading them yet, but I've heard nothing but good things about these books. Hopefully it'll improve my game a little.
    "Never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city" - Coach Finstock, Teen Wolf

J_Verschueren is offline They call me "J"

Quote Originally Posted by bambini View Post
    So it was my birthday last week. My brothers gave me a copy of Harrington on Hold'em (Vol 1) and Harrington on Cash Games (Vol 1). Haven't started reading them yet, but I've heard nothing but good things about these books. Hopefully it'll improve my game a little.
    I'm not so sure Harrington on Hold'Em holds up particulary well in today's online arena (still a good strategy, but no longer optimal), but you are sure to like and benefit from the cashgame book.

Default New books!

Yeah, I'm aware that Harrington on holdem is slightly dated, given how quickly and radically tournament play is changing at the moment. However, I figure that it'll give me food for thought and some extra ideas for the toolkit. Well, hopefully, anyway!
    "Never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city" - Coach Finstock, Teen Wolf

Breezy is offline Feel the Breeze

Those books are the beasts of poker. I have all volumes in PDF format. I love them. Great books.
    ​Breezy

Queso is offline Check To The Possible

He has a new book called "Harrington on Modern Tournament Poker." It basically sums up everything from the other books and launches into new and current territory as well. Surprisingly, he pretty much nails it.

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

He does? Too bad I'll never read it.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

Default New books!

Might have to add that to my Christmas list, Q.

jimbot25 is offline Junior Member

I cant Effing wait to read that new Harrington book!!!

jimbot25 is offline Junior Member

Harrington on hold'em may be a little old, but the Books are absolutely must read for anyone wanting to play poker. I have all five Paperbacks. Harrington was one of the first poker bad asses. He teaches randomizing techniques that are brilliant. The hammer and squeeze play chapters changed my entire game. M and Q value, first in vigorish, borrowing the gap concept from skalansky, all the basic building blocks of a sophisticated game. And so much more, with problems so you learn better and a whole workbook. When my friends ask me to recommend or loan them a book, I give them Play like the pros, or one of my illustrated guides to hold'em, but if they are some one I play with, I will not give them these or my Skalansky's, because it will change their thinking too much. It's dated sure, but most of the content is timeless and stuck to the game untill they change the rules in 1000 years.

Thank you for alerting me to his new book. When I see him on TV or old tourneys I am shocked that people aren't showing him the utmost respect.
    Last edited by jimbot25; Nov 29th, 2014 at 01:54 AM.

So I've just finished Harrington on Hold'em Vol 1.

It's a great book, but you can tell it's a little out of date. I've been playing poker seriously for around 3 years now, and I just don't the game he describes. Many of the hands he describes are multiway pots with several preflop limpers, and in many occasions he advocates limping where I (and I think most any other current serious player) would raise preflop. He also talks about varying his preflop raise quite a bit, sometimes based on his cards, which is also generally seen as poor play these days.

Having said that, I've gained a lot from the book. It's clearly written and many of the problems have really helped me to think about my game in serious detail. Although I took position into account, I think I've developed a new level of thinking about position.

I've no doubt this will help me a lot, although I've taken a good few weeks off the game recently for various reasons (not least of which because I've had a massive downswing in recent months and I figured a few weeks off to get over tilt wasn't a bad thing).

Anyhow, I'd highly recommend this book. Just about to start Harrington on Cash Games Vol 1. I'll keep you posted!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast