Thread: Poker Software

BoonYNWA is offline Junior Member

Default Poker Software

I'm interested in getting peoples opinions on the various software thats available.

I generally would prefer not to use any added software. Is this a mistake? I worry that if I play with them running constantly they'll become a bad habit and will effect my play when playing I start playing live games.

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

I think poker software can be an invaluable tool to help players improve their game. You don't have to use a HUD if you find it distracting. That's just one side of it. The ability to dig deep into your stats away from the table and plug any leaks in your game can only be of benefit. It might also help your live game play too.

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

I used PokerTracker3 when I played but I never used the HUD. I used it more as an accounting tool and to store and review all my hand histories. Of course, if you are playing ring games the HUD could be quite useful once you get a database going.

Unfortunately my PT3 took a shit and I lost all that stuff but it didn't matter as I had stopped playing by then. Still hurts to think about the thousands of games I had recorded in that thing though.... ugh.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

I like the idea of not using it whilst i play and using it as reference to identify errors in my game, so on that basis i'm sold.

Is Poker Tracker the best out there? I'm guessing the answer is yes as it's the most popular but would like to hear if anyone has tried an alternative.

Thanks for the responses

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

Either that or Holdem Manager I'd think. I've only used PT though.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

Quote Originally Posted by BoonYNWA View Post
    Is Poker Tracker the best out there? I'm guessing the answer is yes as it's the most popular but would like to hear if anyone has tried an alternative.
    There are really only two worthy of consideration; Poker Tracker and Hold'em Manager. I have used both over the years. To be honest there has never really been much to separate them. When one of them comes up with a new feature it is invariably copied by the other at the next release. I started with Poker Tracker but then started using Hold'em Manager, which was my preference for a few years. But since my install of the software went tits up and I discovered that their support sucks big time, they have gone down in my estimation.

That said, I do still have a bunch of serial numbers for Hold'em Manager and you can have one if you want. Although they are for version 1 (the older version of the software) so they might be totally obsolete. I honestly don't know. If you can get hold of the old version then just let me know and you're more than welcome to have a serial number.... which were bought and paid for several years ago and are legit.

Alternatively, if you are going to go with Poker Tracker then kindly use this affiliate link and help support Pokerology.com:

Poker Tracker

Queso is offline Check To The Possible

Default Poker Software

I used PT3 (I think it was 3 anyway), mainly because it was the only one that worked on my Mac. Worked like a charm though, until I finally stopped using it because the cluttered screen was driving me nuts and I found that my instincts were serving me just as well.

Also, I think it hurt my live game because it made me mad that I didn't have those floating stats over the players' heads in real life.

But I was working on a wearable-glasses prototype, who knew that years later I'd be upstaged by Google?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post

That said, I do still have a bunch of serial numbers for Hold'em Manager and you can have one if you want. Although they are for version 1 (the older version of the software) so they might be totally obsolete. I honestly don't know. If you can get hold of the old version then just let me know and you're more than welcome to have a serial number.... which were bought and paid for several years ago and are legit.
    I think they have stopped support for HM1 now but thank you for the offer.

News: Support for Hold'em Manager 1 ends on April 30
    Quote Originally Posted by Queso View Post
    Also, I think it hurt my live game because it made me mad that I didn't have those floating stats over the players' heads in real life.

But I was working on a wearable-glasses prototype, who knew that years later I'd be upstaged by Google?
    Thats exactly what i'm worried about. I don't want to be a player that relies on it when playing although as RyckyRych pointed out it would come in handy for reviewing my own game.

I think I'll just pay up for PT4 even though I'm still very much on the fence.

Breezy is offline Feel the Breeze

Well the good news is. HM2 and PT4 have merged together. lol Can't go wrong there. lol
    ​Breezy