Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Seen This Book?

Queso is offline Check To The Possible

Default Anyone Seen This Book?

How to Be a Poker Player: The Philosophy of Poker - Kindle edition by Haseeb Qureshi. Humor & Entertainment Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

I'm curious to know what anyone thinks of this book or its controversial author. I have lots to say but I'd like to hear if anyone else has an opinion first.
    Last edited by Queso; Jul 27th, 2014 at 12:46 AM.

J_Verschueren is offline They call me "J"

No, I hadn't seen this book and I only vaguely remember the author being in a shitstorm over on 2+2, something about chipdumping? -must have been during my last days of checking that particular information overload regularly (I don't visit anymore).

Having read the avaible preview pages (preface, chapter1 and part of chapter 2), I'm intrigued to see where he takes his reasoning, though not necessarily blown away by it. I can sort of see how the insights he's come to were a revelation to him (given his cultural background as an Indian), whereas to me (as a typical pragmatic, stoic and logical nothern western European) they are more a natural consequence of the math behind these specific ways of thinking about poker.

If I may jump to a conclusion from what I've read (I might have to reconsider this if I get the opportunity to read the entire book), I also find his lack of formal mathematics and engineering knowledge shows in this text. His ship building analogy is bunk. I'm an electronics engineer, but the principles I garnered in becoming one would still allow me to design and construct a *far* better ship than my current poker game. Just saying. Because there is no such thing as imperfect information in shipbuilding. it has no gray areas.
    Last edited by J_Verschueren; Jul 27th, 2014 at 03:49 AM.

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

No.

That is all I have on this subject.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by RyckyRych View Post
    No.

That is all I have on this subject.
    What??

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

Quote Originally Posted by Queso View Post
    What??
    "Has anyone seen this book?"

No. As in I haven't.

I have nothing more to add. I haven't read a poker book in years now.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

Oh. I wasn't sure if that was actually a bitter response toward the book.

Why don't you put some insignificant amount of money onto Bovada and get back to playing?

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

I'd not heard of this book either. But I recognise the name of the author.

Good book or bad book?

I just logged in and spent about an hour typing up a "report" about my thoughts on this book. It was a gem. When I hit "reply", it told me I was not logged in, and wiped out everything I had written. With all the hateful spite I can muster, I refuse to write it again. God damn it. Maybe tomorrow. FFS!!!

Okay, forget it. Here you go.

I liked it.

There.

J_Verschueren is offline They call me "J"

I just logged in and spent about an hour typing up a "report" about my thoughts on this book. It was a gem. When I hit "reply", it told me I was not logged in, and wiped out everything I had written. With all the hateful spite I can muster, I refuse to write it again. God damn it. Maybe tomorrow. FFS!!!
    And the "autosave" feature didn't save your ass? -strange, as it has done so for me a number of times.

Okay, forget it. Here you go.

I liked it.

There.
    Well, really hard for me to label that response with anything less than childish, but anyway.

Also really hard for me to respond in general, because I haven't been able to read the full book, yet. As I'm a bargain basement operation with regard to poker (and, as I said before, I'm not blown away by the demo content), I'm not going to pay the asking price, just find out the author has merely tweaked the implications of the serveral mathemathical approaches which are applied to the modern game, so I would need to find a used copy with negligable shipping cost for me to explore more.

Do not get me wrong here, but, if I can go out on a limb, given how you've recently compared your trade tools to poker tools and how one would use them sparingly, I can see how you got a lot out of the text this guy produced. Again: don't get me wrong, I am trying very much to avoid being condescending, but people who learn a trade are not taught mathematics and science the right way, imo. Teachers dumb down principles, and teach soundbites. As if people who actually like physically interacting with the world and making things work are any dumber than the more academically minded students. This is, to me, is a major flaw in the western education system. As such, I hold (for now) it has taken you (like the author) extra steps to understand what everyone who've had the matter explained correctly to them in the first place takes for granted.
    Again, without trying to be condesending and going from what I've been able to read (there might be further wisdom in the book and one can always clarify one's thought process through exposure to other people's ideas), I'm glad you gained insights from this book, but, again: from what I've been able to witness, nothing game changing.
    Last edited by J_Verschueren; Jul 29th, 2014 at 03:30 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast