Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Perception can or can't be taught?

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

There is a place for everything but yeah, in cash games it's probably solid advice to avoid the total bluff.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

Queso is offline Check To The Possible

Quote Originally Posted by RyckyRych View Post
    There is a place for everything but yeah, in cash games it's probably solid advice to avoid the total bluff.
    Exactly. Not talking about C-betting or semi-bluffs. It's these out-of-nowhere, out-of-position, out-of-touch-with-reality moves that I'm talking about. A well-constructed, intelligent bluff will need to be one of the tools in your tool box, but you shouldn't be taking it out very often.

lol. As a cabinet installer, I rarely have to do any plumbing. Years ago, that wasn't the case, as I used to do the entire kitchen remodel from top to bottom. Not any more. Now, I leave the tile setting to the tile guys, plumbing to the plumbers, etc. Maybe once a year, I'll hook up a sink. And even when I do that, I can usually accomplish it with my daily tools, pliers, channel locks, etc. But occasionally, when there is a super tight fit or other things are in the way of reaching up to tighten the faucet nuts to the sink deck, I have to use a very specialized tool known as a basin wrench. It's in my toolbox every single day, but I doubt if I use it once a year. When I need it, though, you better believe I'm glad I have it.

That's what I'm talking about.

I have another tool which is used to loosen or tighten the drain flange in a tub when you are ripping an old tub out or installing a new one. lol, I use that even less than the basin wrench because the last tub I switched out was my own a year and a half ago. The last time I used it had to be 7 years before that. :)

Quote Originally Posted by J_Verschueren View Post
    Next will be to garner a sense of being coolered against totally unaware opponents, which I haven't mastered at all.
    btw, I would like to know what you mean by this?

J_Verschueren is offline They call me "J"

Quote Originally Posted by Queso View Post
    btw, I would like to know what you mean by this?
    Well, you know, occasionally, you'll get that one guy who won't even fold Ace-high if you make bets in relation to the pot (only time he'll fold a weak hand is to a massive overbet) or you'll get the "playa" type of opponent who likes to take away pots in position, but does so indiscriminately (i.e. he also tries it on players who know that's what he's doing and adjust to it).
    Anyhow, you'll get involved with one of these idiots, flop solidly for the circumstances and the hand will play out exactly like you thought it would. Exactly like every other time they've shown up with f**k all at showdown, only to find *this time* you've been massively coolered.

I don't know about the others here, but those hands stick with me and I replay them in my head multiple times, just looking for any indication I could have had of being beat. Live, often this sort of player displays physical tells of confidence or strenght, allowing one to get away from a non-lock hand, but, online, I seem to keep "valuetowning" myself and that's what I meant by "getting a sense of being coolered by unaware opponents", because that's what it's going to take in the absense of hand reading clues.
    Last edited by J_Verschueren; Jul 26th, 2014 at 02:45 AM. Reason: improving my English

lol. I don't think it's possible to figure out what an opponent is doing, when he himself has no idea what he's doing. I wouldn't worry about those times. You play your hand optimally, meaning that a large percentage of the time, this play will work against all possible opponents. So a guy like this slips through from time to time. You laugh it off and don't let it affect your play.

Breezy is offline Feel the Breeze

I have been playing poker 22 years and I am still a noob. Everyday you will learn something new.
    ​Breezy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2