Thread: Starting hands chart question

Strangelove is offline Junior Member

Default Starting hands chart question

Hi, first post. Glad to be here. I've played live at my local poker room a few times and done well, but I'm a newbie and make no mistake about that.

I'm naturally tight and learning how to bet more aggressively without being a moron. I've been sticking with the starting hands chart. Any good reason why in middle position when the table folds to me I'm advised by the chart to raise my KJo but fold my AJo?

Also, this.

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

Personally I'm raising AJo in mid-position and folding KJo. I don't call. However, I don't play ring games either so my advice must be taken in that context.

Oh, and I'd like the two minutes I wasted on that video back, please.
    Last edited by RyckyRych; Jul 20th, 2014 at 12:09 AM.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

I felt the same way, but it was too weird not to share. Email contact@ModernTribe.com and ask them if their game is specifically made for prison or if they're actually serious.

So essentially the chart is incorrect on this point.

Queso is offline Check To The Possible

Quote Originally Posted by RyckyRych View Post
    ...I'd like the two minutes I wasted on that video back, please.
    Why do you need it back? That waitress chick was f-ing hot! I'm going back to watch it again!

Queso is offline Check To The Possible

The chart also recommends folding all suited connectors 98s to 54s to a raise before you regardless of your position. Um, I can't stack anybody that way... lol

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

Firstly, welcome to the forum Strangelove.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangelove View Post
    Any good reason why in middle position when the table folds to me I'm advised by the chart to raise my KJo but fold my AJo?
    I put together the chart but the answer to your question is no. I can't think why that decision was made. I'll go and correct it.

Having said that, the fact that you've spotted this suggests to me that you don't need a starting hand chart.

Quote Originally Posted by Queso View Post
    The chart also recommends folding all suited connectors 98s to 54s to a raise before you regardless of your position. Um, I can't stack anybody that way... lol
    I know, I know. But I'm not changing that, lol.

Thank you Tim. I memorized it nonetheless. :)

Breezy is offline Feel the Breeze

A starting hands chart is just for beginners to get a good feel for the game and to understand position and how certain hands play out and the value they represent. As you get more experienced your starting hand chart is going to expand. It will never be wrong to play by the starting hand chart ever.
    ​Breezy

How is the Hand Selection Chart PDF supposed to apply to UTG (there are no raisers, callers, or folders)? For most of the groups, I'd have assumed that whatever is recommended for early applies to under the gun, but for JJ, TT, and 99-22, the instruction are mixed.

Also, why would I fold the pairs in 99-22 to other folders, but call callers and raisers?

Though I'm not a beginner, I'm looking for where I might adjust my play style, so I'm still interested to know.