Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: not working

greasy is offline Junior Member

Default not working

Hey second post....

So not to sound arrogant but I dont think that grinding the little tables is where is at... I started with a 50 dollar bankroll playing 5 n 11 dollar games. My money would last longer. Playing the micro tables n "grinding pennies" isnt working. Cause when I place I get paid 2 or 3 dollars instead of 15 or 21... my bankroll is small.. but if im better at higher stakes should I just stay away ftom the fonks n maniacs at the micros... j know my strategy is strong.. I just know the people im playing against arent taking it as serious n are calling all in with like 63 on a q39 flops.. n getting the 3 lol or like my aces getting cracked 11 outta 13 in the last 2 weeks lol.. when I was playing the higher stakes. Peolle would call with jj or kq.. not garbage.. so if I feel more comfortable at higher stakes.. should I just take the risk with my bankroll.. cause im not gonna put in more expecting large losing streaks.. ive been losing even faster since ive commited to micro.. i notice I buy in more. And am not afraid to because of the buy. But this just makes me more aggressive preflop. Help if you can.. good idea or not to just move back up?
    Last edited by greasy; Jul 10th, 2014 at 05:20 AM.

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

Classic mindset. "I'm better at the higher stakes where people know how to play", etc. No, you want to play against people who are idiots and/or that are worse than you are. If you recall, the higher stakes is where you blew your bankroll the first time. Also, I'm confident your AA isn't getting cracked over 80% of the time. If they are you are playing them wrong.

Yes, its a slow go doing it "the right way". However, unless you can simply just "reload" you need to earn the right to play higher. Of course, if you have the money to put into your bankroll to enable you to play higher then maybe you should do it so you don't have to worry so much.

TBH, with a $50 bankroll that you can easily replace it won't matter so much. If that isn't a concern then sure, play higher. In a sense your "bankroll" is higher than that $50 in theory. However, when/if you win and you have $200/$500/$1000 in your bankroll, don't think you can start playing $50-$100 SNGs and MTTs. One little downturn and all the money will be gone. That's the idea behind bankroll management, to preserve your bankroll so that you do not have to keep replacing the money you win if things go bad for a short time (which always happens).
    greasy likes this.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

bambini is offline Senior Member

Default not working

Unlike Rycky, I do think that at the micros people play very differently, and this can mean you have much higher variance when you try to play poker "properly". In other words, your upswings and downswings are likely to be bigger at the micros. However, be careful not to equate this with "I'll make more money at the higher stakes". Just because your variance is less, doesn't mean your ROI is higher overall. These are 2 related but different things.

If you can afford to bankroll higher stakes then go right ahead. If not, then you should think about changing your game a little. Play even tighter than you otherwise would, particularly for the first 2 or 3 levels, and play more aggressive when you have a strong hand. It can feel like a grind at the micros because the payoff per win is small, but then patience is a great skill to learn in poker :)
    greasy likes this.
    "Never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city" - Coach Finstock, Teen Wolf

Thanks guys.. and girl :).. I swear rycky 80 percent.. I know like 3 I played wrong.. but I pushed on others that were called.. 2 cracked on the flop.. n it seems the river hates em lol... ive bin trying to be talkative at the table n get "poker friends" but nobody wants too.. ive watched a couple sngs videos youve done on here rycky n I like your logic. Ive been reading son john anhalt books.. and my software should be all up and running today.. I invested in poker tracker 3... thanks again for the advice. Ill try n stick with a lil more micros.. but like bambi said the "proper" play is not working at those stakes.. and I dont want to resort back to playing like a maniac.. tooo risky.

bambini is offline Senior Member

Default not working

Just to be clear, you shouldn't be playing like a maniac at the micros unless you're at a supertight table. You should be playing TAG, just tighter than usual.

And if you're having your aces cracked 80% of the time when you get all your chips in then you're having bad luck, not bad play. Aside from a very few exceptions you should always be trying to get all your chips in the middle PF when you have aces. After the flop you should be constantly re-evaluating and working out whether you have the best hand, just like with any other 2 cards.
    "Never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city" - Coach Finstock, Teen Wolf

bambini, I know very well the players at the lowest stakes play differently. It is because they play so poorly that if you can't beat them you'll never be able to compete at higher levels for any real amount of time. I don't care about variance, I care about ROI.

Depends on when he is getting his chips in in regards to the aces. If we are talking AIPF, ok, so he's lost 4 out of 5 recently. I can see that. 8 out of 10? Doubt it. More than that and it has to be a fairy tale. Now, if he is screwing around with them post-flop and giving people chances to hit a flop or limping in and letting the entire table try to make a hand, well, that's his own fault.

We don't know anything about how these hands have played out so its speculation at best. All I'm saying is, like most people do when things go badly, he's only remembers the ones he is losing and is forgetting the hands where he wins from behind. Not saying its bad to do so, just saying we all do it. I know I did.
    greasy likes this.

I cant win consecutive times.. I keep getti g beat on the river its ridiculous. Ive decided to just go back to higher stakes.. im happy and comfortable in 5 to 11 dollar tournament entrys.. also the higher stake micro rings are working. I was tilting bad.. and getting beat bad. Ima take a week or so break n study the forums n read some good books :)

OK. <shrug>

J_Verschueren is offline They call me "J"

Quote Originally Posted by greasy View Post
    I cant win consecutive times.. I keep getti g beat on the river its ridiculous. Ive decided to just go back to higher stakes.. im happy and comfortable in 5 to 11 dollar tournament entrys.. also the higher stake micro rings are working. I was tilting bad.. and getting beat bad. Ima take a week or so break n study the forums n read some good books :)
    Ok, cool, playing any stakes is fine, no problem with that, provided you have the funds in place to stay there long enough for your results to reflect anything about your game. Show us your results over 1000 games at a particular stake and then we'll talk. Once we have a documented history of enough hands, we can do something. We can point out what you're doing right or wrong and get you moving in the right direction.

You seem to fail to realise how much the gambling aspect of the game can screw you up in the short term (both negatively and positively). Don't get me wrong, I actually sympathise with your position. I usually just two table online and the most I'll play is 4 sit&go tables, if they're staggered sufficiently in terms of blind levels. You will never find me playing more than two tables at high blind levels, relative to stack size, for example. Getting a statiscally usefull sample in order to evaluate your play takes forever this way. Even by putting "my nose to the grind" in 2011-2012, it seemed to take forever and, in the end, I only knew I could beat the game, but I was still uncertain whether I could beat it by enough to keep myself motivated, so I changed my approach, no longer harbouring the idea of supplementing my income by poker.

I both agree and disagree with Ricky's stance on this issue. I disagree because micro stakes poker has moved on from what he remembers, given the site he was playing on. Not saying solid play will no longer bring home the bacon; it will, but not at the rate he was used to. There are a ton of nearly unexploitable assholes who are in nearly every game (and don't think they won't adjust to people recognising what they are doing, regardless of the fact they're on a shit ton of tables). In general, it has become a lot harder to bum-hunt, even at the very lowest of stakes (caveat emptor: this applies to sites where I'm legally allowed to play). Let me put is this way: unaware players are still present, but folk won't let you target them exclusively anymore. It's become more of an "I know that you know that he doesn't know"-type of deal, requiring knowledge of your opponents and their level of thinking, whereas before one could easily and unopposedly isolate clueless opponents.

Anyhow: good luck!! -do what you have to do. Just: keep records. Be honest with yourself, thus providing us with a record to analyse if things don't go as well as planned. The main goal here is to pool our minds in order to make our individual members progress. I would hate to feel like you were being left out due to some comments in this thread.
    greasy likes this.

I had to buy some software for my computer so my data base should be up soon. The pt3 wouldnt run wirhout this new software.. I almost wonder if it is the site too?? Carbon poker... I just signed up for bovada yesterday.. I just font know about the whole zone play...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast