Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Play a (live) hand with me!

bambini is offline Senior Member

Default Play a (live) hand with me!

Haven't done this in a little while, so here's a live hand I played on the weekend, step by step.

Let me set the scene: it's a 5-handed NLHE home game. 4 players (including me) are experienced players, one fish. Blinds are 10p/20p, and I'm the big stack, having turned my 20 buy in into about 50.

It's one of the last hands of the night, and everyone is loosening up. I'm on the BB with

The guy sitting in UTG+1 (the villain in this hand) raises to 60p. UTG+1 is probably the best player at the table (excluding me of course ;) ) and is sitting on about 30. He has a TAG image but is capable of running the occasional big bluff. Everyone else folds and I call.

Flop comes down as , giving me second pair and an up-and down straight draw.

The villain makes a standard c-bet of 60p. Action is now on me. What's the move?
    "Never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city" - Coach Finstock, Teen Wolf

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

I call.

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

Hmm, in an MTT or SNG I raise. I don't see why I wouldn't do so here either. I raise to 175 or so. If he knows that's your MO on this type of hand you could call like Tim as long as you raise on the turn, feigning a set.
    Last edited by RyckyRych; Feb 26th, 2014 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Forgot my second sentence
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

I'm with you, Rycky. I figured he could well be bluffing and even if the villain called I thad a fair few outs. I raise to 2. Villain thinks for a few seconds then calls.

Turn comes I've made my straight and have picked up flush outs. What's next?
    "Never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city" - Coach Finstock, Teen Wolf

Now you lead out about 2/3 to 3/4 of the pot. You showed strength, continue to do so.

Making the straight with the 9 wasn't my choice but I do not know if your friend is capable of 1. raising from EP with JT or 2. Calling a reraise with two overs and a gutshot. If he's pretty TAG I'd say that unless he has TT or something we're in good shape.

I probably should have asked yesterday : What range do you have him on when he raised preflop?

Quote Originally Posted by RyckyRych View Post
    Now you lead out about 2/3 to 3/4 of the pot. You showed strength, continue to do so.

Making the straight with the 9 wasn't my choice but I do not know if your friend is capable of 1. raising from EP with JT or 2. Calling a reraise with two overs and a gutshot. If he's pretty TAG I'd say that unless he has TT or something we're in good shape.

I probably should have asked yesterday : What range do you have him on when he raised preflop?
    Villain here isn't in EP - it's 5-handed so he's UTG+1 and on the cut off. Sorry, should've made that clearer.

As for range, he's generally TAG but known to make the odd PF raise with subpremium hands (already saw him getting playful with hands like Q7, K8 and raggedy aces). Given we're short handed and coming to the end of the night, he may be loosening up, so preflop I had his range quite wide - probably something like any pair, AKs-54s, AKo-T8o, any ace and most kings.

After he called the raise on the flop I narrowed his range considerably. He's not usually the guy to get a lot of chips in with just over cards. However, he's a pretty sophisticated player and knows that I'm capable of a bluff raise, so there could be some levelling going on.

Let's see what Tim's move is, then I'll tell you what I did :)
    Last edited by bambini; Feb 28th, 2014 at 08:22 AM.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by RyckyRych View Post

Precisely what I did. Pot was 5.25, so I bet 4. Villain thinks for a few seconds (his usual pause), then calls.

River comes down as

What now?

The safest thing to do now is to check/call. He might bet with either the boat or air. Considering it was five handed he easily could have raised with any pocket pair. If you bet he likely only folds or raises depending on the strength of his hand.

Pot is what, 13.25? Yeah, seems you have $23 or so left in effective stacks. I'd call a bet of $8-10 here, unless you know that his bets are always real and he never bluffs, then you adapt according to your read. I still do not want to face a check raise (another reason why playing OOP sucks).

Tim

Ugh, what an ugly river. I would check/call (a reasonable bet) too. The problem with checking is it gives him the opportunity to bluff, which you said he's more than capable of. I guess you could lead out with a blocking bet, but I'd probably go the safe route and check.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast