Thread: Winning percentage at Sit N Go's.

floathouse is offline Junior Member

Default Winning percentage at Sit N Go's.

I have switched to playing STT short table Sit N Go's almost full time over the last couple of months. I run my own stat analysis and winning score sheet for all tournaments and have done so for a very long time.

I am very surprised to find my Win-Place percentage to have jumped substantially from my MTT stats along with the move. When I started winning sometimes as high as 35% of all tournaments entered in a single setting, I obviously kept playing the STT tournaments. My style of play has not changed substantially, as I have been a winning player for 50 years using a tight-aggressive style. I have played that way for so long that I don't think I could substantially change, so I use the same basic playing patterns at the STT's.

Currently (with 310 tournaments for statistics) I am winning first 27.1 percent, and finishing second 21.9 percent for a total of 49.0 percent Win-Place. The ROI is good, and in fact slightly better than my earnings over time at MTT's.

Trying to get some feedback on how these percentages fit in the overall range of winning percentages. They are substantially higher than my MTT stats. I have been assuming it is just a lower level of players, but the stats are holding up across different sites and live games.

Your input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Floathouse

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

Hi Floathouse. Firstly, welcome to the forum!

You didn't mention what type of SNGs these are..... 9-man? Turbo? What's the buy-in?

I could be wrong (where are the SNG guys?) but at low to medium stakes I think a ROI of 15-20% is considered good for 9-man turbo SNGs. Your ROI is very high, but the sample size is far too small.

bambini is offline Senior Member

Default Winning percentage at Sit N Go's.

Sample size is small at over 300? What sort of sample size would you be looking for?

Welcome to the forum, Floathouse! Nice to hear the tables are being kind to you! I would kill for a 49% cash rate :)
    "Never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city" - Coach Finstock, Teen Wolf

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

Quote Originally Posted by bambini View Post
    Sample size is small at over 300? What sort of sample size would you be looking for?
    Okay maybe I shouldn't have said "far too small". It's not a large sample size though. However, I guess it's enough to give an indication that Floathouse is doing well. But that's all.... an indication. You'd probably want over 1k before you can start to be confident in your results. Even that wouldn't be enough to be totally confident that you've cracked it, IMO.

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

Yes, 300 is small but not insignificant at all. If this is at 9-man tables then your ROI must be very high. Since he didn't list 3rd place finishes I'd guess its 6-man tables though. Still, nearly 50% is quite good even at the lowest levels.

In the long run, MTTs can get you a higher ROI, especially if they have a large number of runners since winning one of those gives you a huge spike in ROI at one time. SNGs give a much more consistent rate of return, though at a lower ROI overall. There are many SNG grinders that make a solid living, but the big money is usually with the MTT grinder, however the swings are much more noticeable and can be quite unsettling... trust me.

For guys like us non-pros, I always felt a mixture was the best. I use to play most of my SNGs during the week and left my MTT play for the weekends when all the fish came out using their tickets or taking their shots at the big time glory of a large payday. Just be aware of the differences in how the two formats can play at different stages.

Hmm, what is your ROI anyway? I'll guess its around 42-45% or so? Not sustainable at anything higher than the micros probably. You certainly should move up if your bankroll can handle it.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

J_Verschueren is offline They call me "J"

Guys, which part of "short tables" didn't you understand? -off course he's playing 6-handed.

I agree 300 games is a good indication. Personally, I'd take stock at 500, but that is splitting hairs for the most part. Good comments already but 2 things I want to add.

1) carefull about the moving up advice. Obviously, you haven't mentioned what network you're playing on, but it's my experience these things get tough quick as one moves up in stakes. Especially for a TAG player as other thinking regs (read: regulars playing 6 tables or less) will try to preserve their fold equity at your expense when they see you playing that style. By all means take shots when you're feeling good and playing well (this is something I've come to realise I personally still don't do enough), but certainly don't go jumping stakes on a short roll (less than 50 buy-ins) or by re-depositing just because you're doing well at your current level.

2) do yourself a favour and get results tracking software. It's one thing to have a winning style, it's quite another to keep it when, inevitably, you hit a downswing. I'm very good at math/statistics, so I really understand the math behind certain plays/ranges and the concept of variance. When I did an ROI simulation for 45-man turbo's I could mind accept a 50-buy-in downswing was a given at some point, but that didn't prepare me emotionally for when it actually happened. I don't know I could have kept on playing if I'd had to input all these losses by hand. You can do without that extra confrontation, trust me.

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

He should definitely move up but only if his bankroll can handle it (as I said). 300 games at a 45% ROI is certainly enough to warrant a move to the next level. Hell, 20% ROI is enough if he was rolled for it. I don't see what buy-in he was playing at currently or if this was over a number of different ones. I don't like "taking shots" at SNGs, I can see the occasional MTT if you have a ticket or something.

And yes, PokerTracker or some tracking software would be ideal if he can afford it. Of course, its not mandatory as long as he keeps a good record of his games and saves his hand histories from the sites for review later.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content