Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The chat box

  1. #1
    bambini's Avatar
    bambini is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    266

    Default The chat box

    Over the last few weeks I've been branching out to different poker sites (and scooping up deposit bonuses ;) ). There are lots of differences between sites, as I'm sure you'd expect, but the one difference that sticks most in my mind is the differences in chat. On PKR, everyone chats. On 888, everyone is just rude and people have the annoying option to throw things at each other. On stars, there is no chat at all.

    The chat box comes in handy in PKR because you can get a good idea of who's tilting, and you can needle people into making mistakes quite easily. There's also something social about PKR. On Stars, however, there's just no chat at all. Who knows why, probably because everyone is just grinding and probably multitabling, but also I think because the layout of the site means you can either have the chat box on view or the info box, and the info box is just more useful.

    I'm almost definitely going to set up shop permanently with Stars, and I've cleaned out my PKR account completely, but I must say I miss the chat box.
    "Never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city" - Coach Finstock, Teen Wolf

  2. #2
    Tim's Avatar
    Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,809

    Default

    Things change. I started playing on PokerStars 10 years ago when players did use the chat box feature. "nh", "wp", "nb".... and also "you're a f****** fish!" were common exchanges. It was more fun and more sociable.

    I don't think it has anything to do with the "info" box. That's remained unchanged since day one. I'm not even sure why they bother with it. The reason is surely because most people are multitabling, leaving little time for idle chit chat. Then if you consider rush/zoom poker, these games are about as anti-social as it gets. I guess it's progress, and whilst I go online to play poker rather than chat, it does seem a bit of a shame.

  3. #3
    bambini's Avatar
    bambini is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    266

    Default The chat box

    It does indeed. Did you hear about Joe Hachem's recent criticism of the current state of poker? You can read about it here...

    http://www.pokerupdate.com/news/indu...oker-is-dying/

    ...but basically he said that he feels people are in it for the grind and don't socialise at the tables as much. I can't speak for what it's like at the nosebleed end of things, but I can see his point.

    Like you say, I go onto Stars to play poker, not chat, but it's what I do with my down time, so a bit of idle banter would be nice :)
    "Never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city" - Coach Finstock, Teen Wolf

  4. #4
    Tim's Avatar
    Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,809

    Default

    I like Joe Hachem. He is the last WSOP champ to have a significantly positive impact on the game, IMO. The last half dozen or so are clones. Also, I agree with him completely on this subject. Too many online poker rooms have focused far too much on satisfying the grinders at the expense of recreational players. I'm not against HUDs but the table scanning add-on tools for bumhunters are terrible for the game.

    Getting back to the subject of table chat.... I agree with you. Taking Stars as an example, I can think of two things that would improve the chat. Firstly, the ability to disable the dealer messages (it might be possible already so correct me if I'm wrong). Next, have a timestamp next to each message. In the past I've seen a message but was unsure if they just said it or whether it was 10 minutes ago. These are two very simple examples. Of course, Stars obviously prefer we all concentrate on playing more hands rather than waste time (and not money) chatting.

  5. #5
    bambini's Avatar
    bambini is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Nope, can't disable the dealer messages, but you're right that they're a waste of time - who cares if it'the action is on donkgrinder345 and he has 10 seconds to act? We can tell that already.

    Not trying to say PKR is a good site, but I must admit that you can tell they're aiming for the casual player and chat has been done well. The chat box includes full hand history info (really handy if you are away from the screen for a few secs and you want to see what you've missed, plus you have the option to switch this to "simple" or "off" modes if you prefer) but any chat appears in a different colour in the same box. It not only catches your eye, but you can also see exactly where in the game someone said something.

    On another note (and maybe this should bea new thread), but could someone explain some of the HUD stuff to me? Personally, I've always taken the line of "if I can't use it in a live game then I won't use it in an online game, so I've steered clear of HUDs. However, I realised I might be able to get Sharkscope's HUD for free and was thinking about dabbling and seeing what it's like. I can see the advantages of having info such as a player's VPIP on-screen, but what do more they offer you? And what are "table-scanning add on tools"?
    "Never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city" - Coach Finstock, Teen Wolf

  6. #6
    Queso's Avatar
    Queso is offline Check To The Possible
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I like Joe Hachem. He is the last WSOP champ to have a significantly positive impact on the game, IMO. The last half dozen or so are clones.
    Dissing Duhamel? I wouldn't put him in that category.

  7. #7
    Tim's Avatar
    Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Queso View Post
    Dissing Duhamel? I wouldn't put him in that category.
    I'm not dissing any of those winners. I'm sure they're all excellent poker players. When I say "clones" I mean there isn't much to differentiate between them. I even had to Google to find out the past couple of winners of the main event because they are easily forgettable, IMO. Whereas Moneymaker, Raymer and Hachem were great for poker.

    Quote Originally Posted by bambini View Post
    On another note (and maybe this should bea new thread), but could someone explain some of the HUD stuff to me?
    I wrote this a while ago, which might help explain it:

    An Introduction to Online Poker Tracking Software | Pokerology.com

    Quote Originally Posted by bambini View Post
    And what are "table-scanning add on tools"?
    Poker tracking software saves data of your own play and that of your opponents. Table-scanning software essentially finds soft tables for you based on this data. It'll point you to the tables where the fish (according to your data) will be. It'll also tell you which tables might be best avoided, if there are too many solid players. There's probably more to it than this and I should point out that I've never used such tools. I think this kind of tool is taking things a step too far and is very bad for the game.

    I have a bunch of license codes for Hold'em Manager so if you want it then let me know and I'll give you the serial number. They are for the old version so I'm not sure if it's possible to still get a copy of it, but send me a PM if you're interested. These are legitimate codes, bought and paid for but never used.

  8. #8
    Queso's Avatar
    Queso is offline Check To The Possible
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,672

    Default

    You should read Duhamel's "Final Table". It might surprise you.
    Tim likes this.

  9. #9
    bambini's Avatar
    bambini is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    266

    Default The chat box

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I'm not dissing any of those winners. I'm sure they're all excellent poker players. When I say "clones" I mean there isn't much to differentiate between them. I even had to Google to find out the past couple of winners of the main event because they are easily forgettable, IMO. Whereas Moneymaker, Raymer and Hachem were great for poker.



    I wrote this a while ago, which might help explain it:

    An Introduction to Online Poker Tracking Software | Pokerology.com



    Poker tracking software saves data of your own play and that of your opponents. Table-scanning software essentially finds soft tables for you based on this data. It'll point you to the tables where the fish (according to your data) will be. It'll also tell you which tables might be best avoided, if there are too many solid players. There's probably more to it than this and I should point out that I've never used such tools. I think this kind of tool is taking things a step too far and is very bad for the game.

    I have a bunch of license codes for Hold'em Manager so if you want it then let me know and I'll give you the serial number. They are for the old version so I'm not sure if it's possible to still get a copy of it, but send me a PM if you're interested. These are legitimate codes, bought and paid for but never used.
    PM on its way! Thanks!
    "Never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city" - Coach Finstock, Teen Wolf

  10. #10
    RyckyRych's Avatar
    RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    4,248

    Default

    I use to pay attention to the chat box but other than a "nh" or something I never used it much unless I recognized someone. In SNGs I'd use it a bit more but in MTTs I nearly always stayed silent. Good for picking up a little info on players that do chat too much, especially those that gave themselves away as one who tried to "play right" even though they weren't playing well.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •