Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 50NL, 200BB+ deep live hand

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

Its practically a min-raise, you never fold there. I'm sure you might still win the 20% of the time that he doesn't flip over KQ or spades. There is a decent chance he had an underset.

As draw-heavy that board is and if you feared a raise you couldn't call I see no reason not to check behind and keep your showdown value. He bet is polarized indeed... but it seems more a beg to call than trying to scare you off.

Then again, I don't play... anymore.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

J_Verschueren is offline They call me "J"

Sorry for keeping you guys "in suspence", for over a day, but real life intervened.

Quote Originally Posted by RyckyRych View Post
    Its practically a min-raise, you never fold there. I'm sure you might still win the 20% of the time that he doesn't flip over KQ or spades. There is a decent chance he had an underset.

As draw-heavy that board is and if you feared a raise you couldn't call I see no reason not to check behind and keep your showdown value. He bet is polarized indeed... but it seems more a beg to call than trying to scare you off.

Then again, I don't play... anymore.
    I was OOP, Rick, and I felt there was fairly little chance of a free showdown. Villain tended to bet fairly big if an original raiser relinquished the initiative. With the lead-out I was hoping villain might just call with his medium hands (as Queso suggested).

I'm glad the general consensus is the same as I was thinking. I wasn't folding (priced in), but I was thinking what the hell I still had beat unless villain had "missclicked". Unusual for me, the money in the pot suddenly felt real as well; I remember thinking half my weekly grocery budget was in the middle, which froze me for a couple seconds more than any other consideration.

But, anyway, I made the call, saying: "Ok, show me the flush". Villain didn't respond. In fact villain didn't do anything at all, so, after a couple seconds, I turned my hand over and said "I have a set". Villain slumped, showed his hand to the CO and angrily pitched it, face down, half way to the muck, accompanied by what I assume is an East-European expletive. The host then invoked the "show one, show all"-rule and flipped it up.

Over the night it turned out villain did take the game seriously, understood the power of position and aggression, but still made several "obvious" errors. So my initial assesment of a solid, dangerous opponent was off and I could have gotten some more out of him on this hand, but, as always, I tried to make the best decisions I could, given the information I had.

Thanks for the, re-assuring, input. I'll work on my bet sizing.

Queso is offline Check To The Possible

lol

gotta love a guy who bets into the nuts with only 2 pair!

This could illustrate why a bet is no good on the river... because it only opens you up to getting re-raised, and what does a river re-raise normally tell you? But in this case, I like the blocking aspects of a bet. I guess the only thing that would make me think long and hard is if he shoves over me. Even then, I'm not thinking about his hand so much as-- how much of a total moron is he?

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

The villain might have got away with it if HE had properly sized his bet. If he goes 3x the bet size or so then there is a much better chance we'll fold (the price isn't that as good anyone).

And yes, I read the BB checked when reading the hand, forgot that our villain was the button. Still, you could still check/call and usually have it be cheaper than bet/call reraise. Sometimes with a hand like this or one with showdown value, you check to entice a bluff or semi-bluff and snap it off with a call. Another variant would be when you are in position and have something like top pair on a somewhat iffy board. You would c-bet and get called, he checks the turn. You then check. On the river an aggro player or bluff might try to take the pot, thinking you missed, and you call and win the pot. For the rest of the game they'll be more wary.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2