Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Aces, How You Doin'?

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

The info I wanted was all information you should always give, like stack sizes, blind levels and pot sizes. The speed of the MTT is important too. I will admit, the age of the player can be a nice basic tell, at least it was at the places I played the few times I played for money live.

The one time I was faced with this near-exact action the guy immediately folded as soon as I reraised (I shoved actually, I had AT on a T-high board). He was an older fella and decided that he would bet into me to "see what I had". Could I have called? No. My stack size was at a level where the shove was the only real option as a call was awkward and a simple reraise was too much of my stack.

In your spot I'm actually a little undecided still. I do think the T on the turn is horrible for you and a fold is correct. As I said, it depends on your stack size, etc.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

Quote Originally Posted by J_Verschueren View Post
    That's the point, what does raising a pot sized donkbet accomplish (in a tournament)? -it folds out hands you beat/have little chance of improving and provokes reraises with a nuts/air range, putting you to a tough decision.
    Your average player won't re-raise with air. If they do re-raise then I'd have to put them on a set. In many ways it's better to find out where you are earlier in the hand, is it not? What about if we just call, the turn is a blank, and he fires again?

Quote Originally Posted by J_Verschueren View Post
    Because people will donk sets OOP. Their reasoning is the pre-flop raiser is going to be unpaired most of the time, the board hasn't helped those hands, so, in order to "protect" donking with medium pairs or flopped pairs-mediocre kicker, they have to donk with really strong hands as well. Do not expect sets to automatically go for the check/raise.
    The same arguement applies to us. Are you only going to re-raise a donk bet with the nuts? Or do you never re-raise a donk bet?

If we raise pre-flop and then raise a donk bet, what are we representing? A very strong hand. We take back control of the hand.

BTW, I'm not against calling in this spot. Some good points have been made.

Queso is offline Check To The Possible

"early stages of the tournament", to me, denotes all the necessary stack size, blind info, etc. But now I'm just being snotty. :)

The main reason I held all that info back was because I feel the 'donk bet' scenario is almost information-proof. In other words, no matter the stage, stack sizes, blind level, etc, being donk-bet in general would probably provoke the same response no matter what. Maybe I'm wrong.

Queso is offline Check To The Possible

I'm leaning toward the reraise. I can see Tim's point, if he then shoves on you, you can safely fold.
    I would hate it though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2