Thread: Tournament Surprise

Queso is offline Check To The Possible

Default Tournament Surprise

Mid stage of a a $50 tournament. Blinds 400/800/50.

A very good player min-raises to $1600 from MP, I call on the button with . I have $36,000 to start the hand, he has about $41,000.

Flop is . He continuation bets $2,100, I reraise him to $6,000. He thinks for a minute and flat calls.
    Turn is the . He checks, I bet $15,000-- and he flats me again!

The river is the . He insta-shoves for his last $20,000.

What hand can you possibly put him on?

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

Hard not to put him on the Ad now. Of course, I'd have simply shoved the turn. You committed yourself (in comparison to your stack) but betting half of what you had (by my count, you bet more than half).

You need to be very sure he has you beat to fold but looking at his actions you just might be able to. However, pissing away 2/3 of your starting stack isn't very responsible. This is one reason why I like getting more than 25:1 for playing these hands.

Still, I think its the turn that you got yourself into this trouble. Could he have had you beat the whole way? Sure. If he's a very good player I just do not see how he can simply flat the turn on a draw though, even one with 12 or 15 outs.

Then again, well, this is a live game.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

Harald Zone is offline Senior Member

Ace king both diamonds.
    He min raised just to test the waters.
    Then he made the obligatory continuation bet. At least, he hopes you view it as such. Then he smooth calls your raise after a brief Hollywood interlude.
    Since you raised, he lets you lead the betting on the turn.
    The snap shove is pretending to pretend to intimidate you.
    I hope you made a big fold and came back to win the tournament.

I was certain this player could never have called for over half his stack with only the naked . I just couldn't put him there.
    I ruled out his having a set, because he could never just flat me on the turn. How can you call for over half your stack with only one more chance to boat up or hit quads (just 7 outs)? And the LAST thing you would want to see is another diamond on the river. How the hell could you shove into that?
    His flat call on the turn just destroyed me. I couldn't marry any of his actions to a hand.
    With what hand do you raise, call a flop re-raise, flat call a HUGE turn bet, and then just shove? If I was beat all along, and if he had flopped a higher flush, he would have bet the turn, or at least check-shoved over me when I bet.
    Nothing made any sense. I would NEVER fold after having put out more than half my stack here. And Rycky's right, to avoid that difficult spot, I should have just shoved the turn. It keeps me from having to figure out what the $#@%! he's doing. If I'm already beat, oh well.
    I was so confused-- so shocked, actually, by his play-- that I just folded. I don't think I've ever done that before after committing so much of my stack.

Anyway, he showed the . I immediately put him on .

I busted soon after with my short stack and went to dinner.

It only took me an hour of wrangling with this to figure out exactly what he had.

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

Quote Originally Posted by Queso View Post
    I was so confused-- so shocked, actually, by his play-- that I just folded. I don't think I've ever done that before after committing so much of my stack.
    Is it really that shocking? I'm a bit rusty these days but Ad-Jx or Ad-Kx (he could have c-bet/called the flop with this) were in my mind when reading your post. It's a shitty river card that's for sure. You need to give him credit for the Ad and if he didn't have it then it's a fantastic bluff. Did he tell you afterwards that he had it?

Default Tournament Surprise

Sorry Tim, I missed this.

I was shocked because I couldn't believe he would call such a huge turn bet with just the naked A of diamonds. And if he had the flopped flush all along, why just call my flop bet, why just call my turn bet? Nothing made sense to me at all until I finally figured it out later. Pocket jacks, without question. He called the flop of course, then made a mistake to call so much on the turn. I made a mistake also-- my bet committed me to the pot, so I should have just gone all in. And at the very least, then I should have called his river shove, whether I thought I was beat or not, because I simply can't put that much in and then fold.
    He shoved the river because he knew that I would be afraid he had the ace. Big risk with just a set on a 4 diamond board. That's exactly what I was afraid of. But logic should have told me he'd never get do deep into a hand on just a draw. And anyway, pot commitment should have made me call regardless.

He confirmed the JJ to me later. Hats off to him; he made me put in most of my stack and then fold.