Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Rush Poker on FTP

  1. #1
    bambini's Avatar
    bambini is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    266

    Default Rush Poker on FTP

    NB: I hesitate to mention Full Tilt here, as I know that some of you have a considerable amount of money tied up in the Black Friday/ponzi scheme mess. Nevertheless, here goes...

    The other day I stumbled across a promotion with FTP to get $10 of free SNG and ring game tickets if I signed up. Being a curious soul (and a lover of free money), I jumped on it. I've never played on FTP before, but used one of my $2 ring game tickets to have a look, and entered a Rush game. What a blast! I don't know if Rush is new or was around pre-BF, so let me briefly explain. It's a multitable ring game, where if you fold you're immediately moved to another table to play your next hand. The result is a relentless onslaught of hands - you're never just waiting to be dealt in. Christ knows what sort of algorithms are needed to manage the tables.

    Anyhow, it was great fun, and above all else, profitable. I've played 2 sessions now and on both occasions have turned my $2 voucher to $10 in less than an hour. Weirdy, that's more profit than I've made in months of playing SNGs on PKR.

    Of course, there are downsides - you don't get to have reads on any of your opponents as you never play 2 hands in a row with the same players, but as long as to stick to a TAG strategy you're golden.

    Anyone else ever played Rush poker?
    "Never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city" - Coach Finstock, Teen Wolf

  2. #2
    Tim's Avatar
    Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,809

    Default

    Rush Poker was released in early 2010. If you use the search function of this forum you should find a few threads about it.

    PokerStars released Zoom Poker about a year ago (I think) and other rooms have also invented (cough, cough) their own 'Speed Poker' games.

    FWIW, I don't really like it for cash games, but I can see the appeal. I think the format is better suited to tournament play.
    Last edited by Tim; Apr 12th, 2013 at 10:30 PM.

  3. #3
    J_Verschueren's Avatar
    J_Verschueren is offline They call me "J"
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    FWIW, I don't really like it for cash games, but I can see the appeal. I think the format is better suited to tournament play.
    What makes you say that? -I noticed the Zoom tourneys at the MicroMillions and thought "that's the stupidest idea ever". The only advantage I can think of is you're guaranteed not to get stuck with the chipleader to your immediate left, but otherwise I only see disadvantages with respect to having a fixed table composition.

  4. #4
    Tim's Avatar
    Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,809

    Default

    Playing styles and opponent tendencies are much more important in cash games than in tournaments, which is why I think Rush/Zoom is better suited to tournament play. Don't assume this means I think Rush/Zoom tournaments are better than regular tournaments, because I don't. However, you only list one advantage, but the big one is the quick fire nature of the games. I think the concept of Rush Poker is brilliant and it was a revelation when first released, but I guess I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to poker.

  5. #5
    RyckyRych's Avatar
    RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    4,248

    Default

    I used to love the rush poker MTTs and MTSNGs on FTP. When they made some multi-entry I think they made a mistake. Noting says you have to enter more than once, but then again not taking advantage of it seemed wrong. Of course, I liked the speed of it since I prefer turbos. In fact, I think one of the live-play videos I did was when I won a $44 rush turbo MTT... I can't recall if it was rush or not though.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

  6. #6
    bambini's Avatar
    bambini is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Wow, I can't even imagine how rush MTTs would work. I'll have to try one.
    "Never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city" - Coach Finstock, Teen Wolf

  7. #7
    RyckyRych's Avatar
    RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    4,248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bambini View Post
    Wow, I can't even imagine how rush MTTs would work. I'll have to try one.
    Find the videos.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

  8. #8
    J_Verschueren's Avatar
    J_Verschueren is offline They call me "J"
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Playing styles and opponent tendencies are much more important in cash games than in tournaments,
    No bones with that as the deep stacked play exaggerates the importance of knowing one's opponent for known opponents.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    which is why I think Rush/Zoom is better suited to tournament play.
    However I vehemently disagree with this for your average microstakes situation in either style of poker, where one will be between 20 to 100BB deep with a villain one's only played with for a few hands (be it cash or early stages of a sit&go/tournament). If one somehow pegs villain wrongly in tournament play it means busting out, without means of making up for one's error. In a cash game one can rebuy and use one's new found insight to recoup (and possibly win more than one's initial loss) from that player, because, in the long run, he can't hide his flaws.
    So, in the world of Rush/Zoom/Speed/whatever poker, where interaction between individual players is sparse, I hold cash game play is superior, because villain "can't hide from your wrath", so to speak. Unless he "hit&runs", obviously.

  9. #9
    Tim's Avatar
    Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J_Verschueren View Post
    So, in the world of Rush/Zoom/Speed/whatever poker, where interaction between individual players is sparse, I hold cash game play is superior, because villain "can't hide from your wrath", so to speak. Unless he "hit&runs", obviously.
    I disagree with this notion. All players are essentially hitting and running in speed poker games, whatever the format.

    I'd rather play speed poker in the tournament format. Maybe you see it differently because you play more regular tournaments. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

  10. #10
    EddieRich's Avatar
    EddieRich is offline Enlightened Donkey
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North of Boston
    Posts
    285

    Default

    That is the one thing I miss after black Friday. I have been playing on Bovada and I hate how slow the games go. It was much easier to just fold and move on, rather than wait for the slow people to finish the hand. Maybe I just have ADD, who knows.
    62% of all statistics are made-up

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •