Thread: Top tips for N00bs

bambini is offline Senior Member

Default Top tips for N00bs

Thought this might be a good discussion topic.

Ever been to a home game where a "friend of a friend" turns up who's never played poker in his life? You just know this guy is going to be eaten alive.

If you were feeling generous, what tips would you give the guy to help him survive the game? Nothing too sophisticated, just a couple of basic pointers to help him to avoid the common traps of n00bs the world over (playing every hand, check calling every street, etc).

I'll start the ball rolling...

#1 - Play fewer hands
    Playing every hand is going to lose you money in the long run. A general rule of thumb is to only consider playing your hand if you have a pocket pair, an ace with any kicker (the higher the better) or if both your cards are broadway cards (A, K, Q, J or 10). Fold the rest.

Crude, oversimplistic but easy to remember and apply, I think. Thoughts?
    "Never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city" - Coach Finstock, Teen Wolf

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

I would point them in this direction:

Typical Beginner Mistakes in Poker | Pokerology.com

Your #1 is the same... great minds and all!

Quote Originally Posted by bambini View Post
    Ever been to a home game where a "friend of a friend" turns up who's never played poker in his life? You just know this guy is going to be eaten alive.
    Actually, I've experienced the opposite on many occasions. The new guy turns up and nobody has a clue how to play against them.

bambini is offline Senior Member

Default Top tips for N00bs

*facepalm*

Now why on earth did I ever think that Pokerology didn't already have this covered? Nice article, there. I might start recommending it to some of my friends.

And while you're right that beginners can be unpredictable and so hard to read, I often liken them to being on the road with a drunk driver. They might be all over the place and its hard to know whether they are going to turn left or right, but the one thing you can be sure of is that they are going to crash eventually.

Case in point, I once played a home game against a guy who really didn't know a thing about poker but nevertheless ended up taking a lot of chips from me...until the hand where I flopped a boat :D
    "Never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city" - Coach Finstock, Teen Wolf

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

Nice article, there. I might start recommending it to some of my friends.

And while you're right that beginners can be unpredictable and so hard to read, I often liken them to being on the road with a drunk driver. They might be all over the place and its hard to know whether they are going to turn left or right, but the one thing you can be sure of is that they are going to crash eventually.

Case in point, I once played a home game against a guy who really didn't know a thing about poker but nevertheless ended up taking a lot of chips from me...until the hand where I flopped a boat :D
    I like the analogy. It's true. But in tournaments you don't always reach the 'until' moment.

Of course, this isn't to say I prefer playing against skilled opponents. As Lou Krieger once said to me "these players (unskilled) are going to give you their money. So just be sure to take it from them!"