Thread: What's the longest period for which you have just folded?

Faustus Fotherby is offline Senior Member

Default What's the longest period for which you have just folded?

I've been diligently practising Roy West's 7 Card Stud commandments recently in ring games, which has meant a lot of one-tabling while flicking through his book to check how I'm doing when I play hands. This evening's session though, goodness gracious, it's been SLOW going.

I'm playing at the moment (how naughty of me, playing and posting on here at the same time ) and I'm in a bit of a folding spree having folded my way through the last 50 hands or so. I just checked my 4th street seen percentage and it's quite a bit lower than normal but I'm absolutely sure that I haven't changed my style, I've just had a dry run of cards. I know 50 hands isn't a lot but when you're just watching the one table then it certainly leaves me a tad bored when it feels like I haven't played a hand in almost an hour.

Slow times!

So what's the longest period for which you've just folded?

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

I have no idea. I mean that sincerely.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

J_Verschueren is offline They call me "J"

Quote Originally Posted by RyckyRych View Post
    I have no idea. I mean that sincerely.
    Neither do I.

I play sit&go's, so I routinely fold 4-5 orbits if no good cards or spots come in the early stages, but to actually put a number on the longest period I've ever folded? -not a clue.

I do have a funny story about getting called out on folding a lot, if I'm allowed to derail the thread a little....

Well, I have a guess. I know that once in one of the bar league games I folded every hand, even the blinds, through the second break. So that's over two hours. It might have only been 50 hands though.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Verschueren View Post
    Neither do I.

I play sit&go's, so I routinely fold 4-5 orbits if no good cards or spots come in the early stages, but to actually put a number on the longest period I've ever folded? -not a clue.

I do have a funny story about getting called out on folding a lot, if I'm allowed to derail the thread a little....
    Please do!

I have a story about something similar, I was in an SnG in a bar one time. I'd had a really awful run of cards most of the evening and pretty much folded forever. Eventually I picked up AQs and my stack had reached a push/fold scenario so I put it in and it folded to the big blind who started scraping in the blind money and someone pointed out I'd gone all in and he was like "Oh I'd forgotten someone was even sitting there!" He put it in too with A4o and when I turned over AQs then the guy who considered himself a pro at the bar was like "You fold all night then stick it in with AQs? That's like the worst hand I'd want to do that with." I busted that same hand to the A4, but I felt like I'd done the right thing so didn't mind. (The blind structure in that game was terrible, I remember detailing it in another post ages back, but I also didn't know as much about being aggressive in SnGs as the blinds got higher so I was probably just being a plain bad player too.)
    Last edited by Faustus Fotherby; Mar 13th, 2013 at 02:10 AM.

"He put it in too with A4o and when I turned over AQs then the guy who considered himself a pro at the bar was like "You fold all night then stick it in with AQs? That's like the worst hand I'd want to do that with."

I wanna play against pros like that.

Quote Originally Posted by RyckyRych View Post
    "He put it in too with A4o and when I turned over AQs then the guy who considered himself a pro at the bar was like "You fold all night then stick it in with AQs? That's like the worst hand I'd want to do that with."

I wanna play against pros like that.
    I know right! I think he was just sour that it was "one of those hands that [he] always lost with!" Great 'pro' attitude or what? I was happy to let him keep thinking he was right.

J_Verschueren is offline They call me "J"

Quote Originally Posted by Faustus Fotherby View Post
    Please do!
    Well, ok then.

The Flemish forum I used to be a member of, had a private section to which one would gain access by having at least 100 posts and being referred by someone who already had access. In it people would post results from online play (illegal at the time) and share info about real money homegames, bar games and tournaments. On this forum, I had a reputation for being a complete and utter nit because I argued against using a 50NL - 100NL playingstyle at the microlimits. I am of the Annie Duke school of poker when it comes to the microlimits: take what figures to be the best hand and shovel as much money behind it as you possibly can, otherwise known as bludgeon-poker. No mixing it up, no isolating light, etc.. just take a quality starting hand and bet, bet, bet, bet until you meet too much resistance. I am a conservative player, true, but I also know I am perceived as such, so, when the situation is favourable, I take advantage of this fact to thread water and wait for a spot where I can "cooler" a less observant player. Just like a loose player plays small pots to do the same until he too gets a good hand.

Anyhow, some of these people got it into their heads I would play this style as well when I played them in a live game and they had no cause to doubt this in this particular 25NL cash game as I got dealt trash for nearly 3 orbits solid (the only vaguely playable hands if I'd been first in, I had to fold to action in front). Which lead to one guy commenting "don't worry Jan, you'll get aces or kings soon enough", to which I replied "Up a tree with your aces and kings (literal translation of a saying we use), I'd settle for a playable hand!". So he said: "yeah, right.". I was a bit piqued at the time, so I came out with a rather bold statement: "Tell you what, the first hand I get which is better than 8-high and doesn't contain a deuce, I'll play.". Which was met with more derision...

The next hand I was UTG and looked down at... 62o. So I folded, but told the guy who was dealing at the time to keep my cards seperate. After the hand I instructed him to turn them over and said: "See, I'm not making this up, I'm just carddead!" -more merriment followed.
    Next hand CO 3x's, BTN and SB fold and I've got.... aces (I think AhAs, but I'm not sure), so I make it 2,- Euro and CO is clearly startled by this turn of events. So I sense an opportunity to mess with his head a little and say: "I said I'd play the next playable hand, I didn't say I'd just call with it."
    CO: "You do realise I have a hand here?"
    Me: "I don't doubt it."
    CO: "So you have 8-high or better and your hand doesn't contain a deuce?"
    Me: "Indeed."
    CO: "So why am I second guessing myself here? -I'm all-in." (for 7,50- Euro; he was short, in my experience "topping up" is "not done" in live cashgames, so we can't hold that against him)
    Me: "call", "You were outthinking yourself, but, unfortunately, I do happen to have the aces this time."
    For the record: villain showed AdKd and lost when the board came Kc8h5h, 2s, 2d.

Around the same time I played in a live sit&go, where, pretty much, the same thing happened against some of the opponents I knew from the forum. After folding a bunch of hands, I was in late MP and decided to raise it up with Td8d. I got called by the SB, who literally said: "I'm just calling to take the pot away from you on the flop". The flop came A82 rainbow and villain just checked, so I bet just over half pot, just to see if he actually had it and had tried to pull the wool over my eyes preflop, but he just called. Turn bricks an offsuit 5 , so figure I have the best hand and bet again; villain folds showing a pair of nines, so I flash my hand and say: "I knew I had to flop an ace..", which sent villain on verbal (an actual) monkeytilt.
    Last edited by J_Verschueren; Mar 14th, 2013 at 02:16 PM.