Thread: What a waste!!!

J_Verschueren is offline They call me "J"

Default What a waste!!!

Don't you just hate hitting that monster when you had way the best hand all along?

Jalopy is offline Senior Member

It does suck but at least you got max value for the hand

nobetter is offline Senior Member

Scenarios where you actually get value out of a royal flush are rare, so I don't think it was wasted hand strength. If you got the absolute nuts you can't blame 'em for losing. Seeing somebody draw with RIO is actually quite a delight
    Last edited by nobetter; Feb 7th, 2013 at 10:32 AM.

TIME is offline Reasonable bet

Wow ... nice hand J. I play a lot of limit and I can't tell you the number of times I've had pocket rockets under the gun and raised coming in only to have everyone fold and I win the blinds. While I find that a little annoying, having everyone call and being up against the entire field only to lose makes me say to myself, "Better to win a small pot then to lose a big one." Of course, A-A is not a royal. Hey, you have a story to tell.
    To the true gambler, money is never an end in itself, but simply a tool; as language is to thought.

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

I always hit when I've already won the hand... big deal. I need to learn to hit when I'm currently behind.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

BTW, not sure I really like slamming 2x the pot as my c-bet, though I get why you elected to do it... just not my style. I might have actually check-jammed instead. Of course I'm not a fan of playing 54s here either...

Then again, I'm retired.

J_Verschueren is offline They call me "J"

Quote Originally Posted by RyckyRych View Post
    <snip> I need to learn to hit when I'm currently behind.
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by RyckyRych View Post
    BTW, not sure I really like slamming 2x the pot as my c-bet, though I get why you elected to do it... just not my style. I might have actually check-jammed instead. Of course I'm not a fan of playing 54s here either...
    I would like to see some elaboration on this as my thoughts at the time were I was probably a favourite in the hand against Player 5 and a normal sized c-bet was about 1/3rd of my stack, so I might as well move in to maximise pressure and price out draws (like I would if I had TPTK or an overpair, etc... *).

(*)Rem: villain was pretty bad, but there were sharpies at the table who could have thought to themselves "Hmm... this guy usually punches Elvis if he C-bets in this situation, why does he bet small now?... Aha!!! -he had the nut draw himself!" and write a note on me.

Hmm, I should be more precise and pay attention.

What message does jamming send to the sharpies? Usually "BIG DRAW". I like acting the same way I usually do when I can, so I think I c-bet as normal. If I were IP then I might check behind, though I usually do that with a weaker draw (say a gutty to the nuts, so like here but without the flush possibility). If this guy likes to bet when checked to, the check-jam is my play.

I see here we are OOP and its a little awkward, having about 2x the pot left. I think I do not mind going all the way here. I would c-bet and if called, I'd jam the turn. Of course I'd call an all-in.