Thread: Upcoming vegas super bowl trip

Harald Zone is offline Senior Member

Default Upcoming vegas super bowl trip

I am planning a trip to Las Vegas Feb.1 through Feb. 5. Five days, four nights. I see it as an introductory excursion to Vegas with what I hope is many more to follow. Mostly what I want to do is play poker. There is a group of guys going, most of whom are Matt’s friends. The rest are friends of Matt’s friends. I work with Matt and have played for the last four years in his annual poker game with these friends.

I researched my trip on the AAA web site. It looked like I could take convenient flights with Delta and stay at the Flamingo for $804. Then I failed to pull the trigger and the Flamingo rates jumped so I will be staying at the Imperial Palace aka the Quad. At least, I bought tickets on a convenient Delta flight. I want to play 6/12 limit hold’em as much as possible. I might play a $100 tournament or two although that seems like playing the lottery. I prefer to win money instead of shelling out for tournament entries.

I am researching the poker rooms on the internet. So far, the Bellagio looks ok. The web says the Bellagio is full of old duffers in the morning which is what I am looking for. It says the Bellagio is tougher at night.

Other reviews say that the Venetian is a good place to play poker.

A grumpy funny fat guy at Canterbury (there are a lot of these guys) told me that Vegas is softer than Canterbury.

My list of poker rooms that I want to play at are:

Bellagio
    Venetian
    Aria
    Flamingo
    Mirage
    Caesar’s
    Bill’s Gambling House

I am not actively researching downtown Vegas because I plan on making another trip in the future when I will stay and play downtown.

My list of poker tours:
    Vegas strip
    Vegas downtown
    Atlantic City – Trump Taj Mahal and Borgata
    Los Angeles – Bike and Commerce

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

Quote Originally Posted by Harald Zone View Post
    My list of poker rooms that I want to play at are:

Bellagio
    Venetian
    Aria
    Flamingo
    Mirage
    Caesar’s
    Bill’s Gambling House
    If you're looking to play 6/12 then you'll be disappointed by some of these rooms. I'm sure it will be busier when you go, but here's what I found on my recent trip....

The Aria didn't have ANY limit games on the two occasions I went there.

The Flamingo has 2/4 and that's it. They had an interest list for 4/8, but it didn't get much interest.

Bill Gambling House - don't bother. They only had one or two tables of $0.50/$1.00 NL, with the majority of players sitting down for the minimum of $20. My advice would be to jump on the shuttle bus outside Bill's and go to the Orleans. I think you'll like it there.

I'm sure you'll find 6/12 at Bellagio and the Venetian. These two rooms are probably your best options. This is why the IP is a great location... you're just a short walk from both these venues. In fact, you're within easy walking distance of all those on your list.

Thanks for the fresh information. Maude (the wife) is warning me not to leave the strip after dark. I will need to visit the Orleans in the day time. I will be hanging with the crew during the big game at some bar after making a bet on the game.

TIME is offline Reasonable bet

Just an FYI, Harald. I was over at Bellagio yesterday and here is a list of limit games being spread ...

$ 4--$8
    $10--$20
    $20--$40
    $40--$80

Should be something in there that does more than support the rake!
    To the true gambler, money is never an end in itself, but simply a tool; as language is to thought.

4/8 will be my starting point at the Bellagio. I feel like a pilgrim planning a trip to Mecca. Maybe I exaggerate, but this is a big deal for me. I've been avoiding my local card room since October so I don't blow my bankroll.

TIME is offline Reasonable bet

Lol ... I remember the feeling. You won't find any hardened pros in the
    $4--$8 games so just relax, have fun and remember "Tight is right" in limit. Good luck.
    To the true gambler, money is never an end in itself, but simply a tool; as language is to thought.

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

Yeah, good look Harald. I'm sure you'll love Vegas. I look forward to reading the trip report.