Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Only in Belgium...

J_Verschueren is offline They call me "J"

Default Only in Belgium...

A new, purpose built facility which was to house 40 forensic investigators in Ghent, has been completed without a single telephone or network connection throughout the building.

Upon moving in, the flabbergasted police scientists discovered they had space, heating, electricity, water and sanitational facilities, but nothing else.

The directorate of buildings is not available for comments, but it is speculated they believed the building was part of a pilot scheme for government branches going wireless only.

Estimated cost for fixing this miscommunication: 0.5 million Euro.

My tax Euros at work...

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

Quote Originally Posted by J_Verschueren View Post
    The directorate of buildings is not available for comments, but it is speculated they believed the building was part of a pilot scheme for government branches going wireless only.
    Wireless is great, but it doesn't need to be either/or. It sounds like a stupid scheme. Like many people, I have a wifi setup at home but I connect via an ethernet cable. It means occassionally tripping over the cable but it's much more reliable than wireless.

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

I used to hardwire also but the box is set up too far away in this rental house. Before at my old house it was right under my desk.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

Jalopy is offline Senior Member

Specifically for Police, you'd think they would steer clear of wireless. It is just an extra avenue for a security breach. Wireless is great for home use but not for something supposedly secure like police headquarters...

What's up with this country? -first it is revealed this week serveral pencil pushers in government left their brains at home, allowing, in the 12th year of the 21st century, a building to go up without any means of communication at all (not strictly true, an Otis employee commented on a news site; the elevators have working emergency telephones ) and now it has come to light that, on Tuesday, a French television crew, filming a documentary on Belgian sculptor and theatre maker Jan Fabre, thought it would be a good idea to film live cats being flung up the grand staircase of our town hall here in Antwerp. This went on for some time until the film crew's light technician literally pulled the plug on the shoot. The artist himself yesterday went on television to defend the idea with the argument the cats weren't actually harmed and that, as an artist, he's obliged to think and do things which are considered out of the norm.

Judge for yourselves (video): Katten krijsen in het stadhuis on Vimeo

Personally, I fear at some point in the near future I'm going to have to go out and start physically beating some sense into people.
    Last edited by J_Verschueren; Oct 27th, 2012 at 10:51 AM.

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

As one who has had at least one cat as a pet since I was an infant (presently two), I want to meet this guy so I can throw him on a sword.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

Belgium would appear to be a dangerous place these days

British oil executive ‘assassinated’ in front of wife | The Sun |News
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Jalopy is offline Senior Member

I like this posted reply on the cat video...it's been run through Google Translate so it is not exact but you can still get the gist of it:

"The blood of the Artist" is the title of my next project is an experimental film about the modern Flemish artist. This very intellectual artistic research focuses on the shape, color and sound. The narrative comes from the evolution that occurs after skull and flesh of the modern (preferably Flemish visual and known) Artist, after free fall from 20 meters high, in contact with the gray asphalt of our Belgian roads. The red color that symbolizes flows naturally from the inability of the subject and the gray texture is a reflection of the inevitable fatalism. In order to optimize the result and some aerodynamic resistance to neutralize the hands and feet of the subject and is fascinated with his head first. This operation is repeated several times until the unique shapes can be obtained which are typical to the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalopy View Post
    I like this posted reply on the cat video...it's been run through Google Translate so it is not exact but you can still get the gist of it:
    I like it. The translation errors make it sound even more like Fabre's own argument.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
    Belgium would appear to be a dangerous place these days

British oil executive ‘assassinated’ in front of wife | The Sun |News
    Always has been. There's certain parts of certain cities/towns regular people just don't go to.
    That said, where this took place is not one of those places. Far from it. This was personal, it could have happened anywhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast