Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Free bar poker hand

busymm is offline Senior Member

Default Free bar poker hand

Well a few nights back I had a chance to play some free bar poker. (no buy in and such) After sitting at my starting table for a few blind lvls I was switched to a new table with about 4400 in chips which was just under average at that time. The blinds were just upped to the 200/400 when I sat down. There were 5 others at the table at the time all had slightly bigger stacks than me except for the kinda fishy player on my right who had about 3 times my stack size. I was able to watch for a full rotation and he kept limping in almost every hand or min raising (never saw him play a hand to the end so don't know his holdings). Then it came time for me to pay my BB. Everyone limps then the fishy guy on my right (the SB) min raises. I look down to find pp 9's.
    Whats your move guys.

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

Tough spot, but it sounds like you have two options depending on your read.

1. Shove if you think he is the type of player that can raise wide because he has the chips with a hand like AQ or 88, or

2. Call and set mine if you think he is the type that will only do this with AA/KK types. You might not be getting the perfect implied odds scenario here, but that pot will get big enough to make up for it, plus if the flop is J93 you'll be able to get your stack in against him for sure. He ain't folding AA/KK/QQ, meaning if you hit you'll double (or more) nearly every time and making up for the implied odds.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

J_Verschueren is offline They call me "J"

There's really no way to know what kind of range the minraise represents, so, with 11BB, I ship here. If it's aces, it's aces.

And no "setmining" here.

You've only got 9 times the the call behind and you don't close the action. Push or fold!

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

Quote Originally Posted by J_Verschueren View Post
    You've only got 9 times the the call behind and you don't close the action. Push or fold!
    Trust me, in these "bar games" there are plenty of guys that will min-raise only AA/KK. If this is one of those guys then all you need is the true odds of 7.5:1 as he ain't folding. Since we won't close the action we might even triple up or more.

That is if he has that read. If not I completely agree with push/fold, and I likely push.

Of course you have to realize that I've played in a LOT of these same bar games so I have a very good feel for the dynamic in play here. If this was some random guy online I just ship unless I happen to have a note that screams minraise = monster.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

Stop and Go.

J_Verschueren is offline They call me "J"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueens View Post
    Stop and Go.
    Again, an option if it was just the fish raising into us, but in this case we don't close the action. Which is something I'm very wary of in this sort of scenario.

My bad, I read it wrong. I thought it said everyone had folded to the SB. That's what I get for answering without reading everyone else's answers first. :)

Yeah, shove.

Harald Zone is offline Senior Member

Shove because:
    You have only 11 x BB and you got a nice hand.
    I would fold only if I was on the bubble.

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

Quote Originally Posted by RyckyRych View Post
    Trust me, in these "bar games" there are plenty of guys that will min-raise only AA/KK. If this is one of those guys then all you need is the true odds of 7.5:1 as he ain't folding. Since we won't close the action we might even triple up or more.
    While I know this is true of many players, busy said:

"he kept limping in almost every hand or min raising"

Therefore he's not "one of those guys" and a shove is in order here, IMO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast