Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: An Open Letter to Pokerology Forum Members

TIME is offline Reasonable bet

Quote Originally Posted by Jalopy View Post
    Every time I read a hand for discussion and think I have something interesting to say about it I read the following comments and discover that I hadn't considered a number of no-limit-centric variables in my decison.
    To me that is why it's great to discuss other forms of poker. It cuts both ways ... I remember quite some time ago I posted a Limit Poser and some of the no-limit aficionados were shocked that you wouldn't be set mining with 3-3 from UTG. As I'm sure you know ... playing 3-3 UTG in hopes of getting the correct price to set mine in limit play is a huge leak.
    To the true gambler, money is never an end in itself, but simply a tool; as language is to thought.

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

I don't think that at all. I know that folks here are just as interested in commenting on limit games as they are no-limit ones, it's just that I think that my input on no-limit hands isn't very relevant because of how I think about the game. Every time I read a hand for discussion and think I have something interesting to say about it I read the following comments and discover that I hadn't considered a number of no-limit-centric variables in my decison.
    So what? How else will you learn? Fire off what you are thinking, it may spark more discussion. Doesn't matter if its cash, SNGs, or MTTs. Sure, there are differences but its always nice to tackle each question.

I nearly always answer posts in the ring game forum, even though I don't play cash (and I state as such when I reply). It hasn't stopped me from the discussion since I believe doing so would help me with deep-stack play in MTTs.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by TIME View Post
    To me that is why it's great to discuss other forms of poker. It cuts both ways ... I remember quite some time ago I posted a Limit Poser and some of the no-limit aficionados were shocked that you wouldn't be set mining with 3-3 from UTG. As I'm sure you know ... playing 3-3 UTG in hopes of getting the correct price to set mine in limit play is a huge leak.
    I don't remember that, but assuming you have ample chips behind you I don't see why you couldn't. Remind me why you can't limp in and call a 3-bet since its just one more bet. Trying to answer my own question, I'm thinking that it may be due to the fact that you may only get to play vs. the PFR, therby the implied odds are likely not going to be there vs. a single opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by RyckyRych View Post
    I don't remember that, but assuming you have ample chips behind you I don't see why you couldn't.
    A good way to turn ample chips into mediocre chips!

Remind me why you can't limp in and call a 3-bet since its just one more bet. Trying to answer my own question, I'm thinking that it may be due to the fact that you may only get to play vs. the PFR, therby the implied odds are likely not going to be there vs. a single opponent.
    The main difference in set mining between the two games is implied odds which is the name of no-limit and has a much less impact in limit. To successfully play small pairs from up front in limit you need a parlay of events that rarely occur. First since flopping a set is a 7.5-to-1 shot you need a bunch of limpers behind you. You then have to hope there won't be a raise because what you're hoping for is a cheap look, with good odds at the flop. Next part of the parlay is to actually flop a set because 3's are just not going to take down the pot and finally if you do flop a set your hand needs to hold up. That is a lot of hoping ... solid limit players throw small pairs away up front.

Now, certainly there are games in which this can be done successfully. As an example if the game is very passive and most everyone sees the flop for one bet ... but in the higher limits those games don't exist. In middle limit and higher limit poker there is a lot of raising preflop and that doesn't favor going fishing with low pairs.
    To the true gambler, money is never an end in itself, but simply a tool; as language is to thought.

Jalopy is offline Senior Member

(and I state as such when I reply)
    No you don't do you?

In middle limit and higher limit poker there is a lot of raising preflop and that doesn't favor going fishing with low pairs.
    I am finding this to be true in a fair number of micro-low limit games too. Not that I haven't sat at the odd table where I am the only person willing to PFR but I find that the tables can be fairly aggressive. Maybe it's because I only play short handed and the full ring games are more passive...or maybe its because I tend to play vs a handful of regs on Carbon lately.

No you don't do you?
    Actually yes, yes I do (very often anyways). Ask around.

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

Jalopy, I don't think you should feel that all anyone ever plays (or cares about) is no-limit. I play limit ... have played at the same table as Tim playing limit and I know Queso had a brief love affair with the game. Even if others never play the game they just might learn something from a limit discussion. That wouldn't be a bad thing ...
    It's true that I've played limit hold'em, but it doesn't mean I'm any good at it. In fact... I suck at limit. But I agree that discussions about games other than NLHE are always welcome.

I remember quite some time ago I posted a Limit Poser and some of the no-limit aficionados were shocked that you wouldn't be set mining with 3-3 from UTG. As I'm sure you know ... playing 3-3 UTG in hopes of getting the correct price to set mine in limit play is a huge leak.
    I remember that discussion from about 2 years ago and how you put one particular person in their place... I don't think they've been back here since.

Dave 'Two Chairs' is offline Captain Pedantic

All Iím saying is letís keep this forum vibrant...
    Well, there you go. I think this thread so far easily demonstrates why rumours of the forum's demise have been greatly exaggerated. One little comment and then we're off into 20+ posts.

There's always something to chat about.

Anyone want to talk about Italian 10-year bond rates?
    There are only three ways to play pocket Jacks; they are all wrong.

Hidden Content size="1">http://www.facebook.com/davesparrow

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I remember that discussion from about 2 years ago and how you put one particular person in their place... I don't think they've been back here since.
    I knew you would remember. First Matt just asked the question ... why not be set mining with 3-3 and when I answered because it was limit and why you shouldn't that little tart was downright rude. Then she found out she was wrong and disappeared in a snit!

The main difference in set mining between the two games is implied odds which is the name of no-limit and has a much less impact in limit. To successfully play small pairs from up front in limit you need a parlay of events that rarely occur. First since flopping a set is a 7.5-to-1 shot you need a bunch of limpers behind you. You then have to hope there won't be a raise because what you're hoping for is a cheap look, with good odds at the flop. Next part of the parlay is to actually flop a set because 3's are just not going to take down the pot and finally if you do flop a set your hand needs to hold up. That is a lot of hoping ... solid limit players throw small pairs away up front.

Now, certainly there are games in which this can be done successfully. As an example if the game is very passive and most everyone sees the flop for one bet ... but in the higher limits those games don't exist. In middle limit and higher limit poker there is a lot of raising preflop and that doesn't favor going fishing with low pairs.
    So in essence I answered my own question. :)

FTR, this was a great, detailed response. TBH the very passive games are the ones I commonly were in when I played. The limit book I have actually suggested to assume the table was WEAK, not strong, until proven otherwise. The book (Ed Miller wrote it, I gotta find it) said advised to play any pair since weak tables do not raise as much... they usually limp along without monsters. I actually need to confirm I have this remembered correctly since it has been a few years since I played limit!

Playing the higher stakes I could easily see how these low PPs could be eaten alive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast