Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What to do, what to do?

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

Default What to do, what to do?

Seems to me there has to be some sort of challenge or something I can try to do now that "the grind" is over. But what exactly is it?

Here is the situation. The vast majority of my bankroll was on either Stars, FTP, or Cereus. I'm currently trying to get other smaller amounts off everything else since "Black Monday" occured. I'm hoping I can still get my Doyle's Room money and I've asked for cashouts from Bodog and Carbon mainly out of fear.

However, there is still about $30 of "uncleared bonus money" in my Carbon account and about $100 on Cake that I can't withdraw since they have a $500 minimum. Both places are open for business so I can play with the money. I figure I might as well play... but what?

My first idea was cash games. I actually logged two small sessions of .02/.04 6-max NL in May, 151 hands for a profit of .17, yay! My rakeback was .19 (scary huh?). I single tabled while I was doing other stuff but I had fun playing and I played well AFAIK.

My second thought was to start with small SNGs again, like I once did. Of course I now know that paying 20% rake is a bad idea so the lowest game I can find is a 1.15+.10 turbo 10-man SNG on Cake. I remember some time back someone said I should try to work my way back up as a challenge... now seems like a good time to try it.

So, my idea is this. I'll do both with an imaginary $100 "deposit" to start off with for cash games. That would give me 25BIs at 4NL (I think that's the right abbreviation for .02/.04 NL). For the 1.25T SNGs I will make a $75 "deposit", giving me 60BIs there. These will be my bottom level games. (Yes, I know thats $175 and I only have $130ish. I'll play both from the same actual cash since it doesn't matter if I blow it as I can't withdraw it anyway. These numbers are just being used as a base starting point)

Now, for cash, I will move up a level when I have 25BIs for that level. However, if I drop under 20BIs I will move back down. I figure this would be fairly standard-like for a cash game player, though the actual BIs might be considerably different. For my purpose these rules will work since I'm not going to be "cashing out" anyway.

For SNGs, same idea. When I have 60BIs for the next level, I move up. If I drop to 50BIs, I move back down. Again, with no cashouts I see no reason to do anything different.

Of course these will be based on profits only. I will not count any rakeback or bonuses to my imaginary bankroll. In this way I should be able to track this quite easily using my PT3.

So, from what I know, I'll move up to 10NL if/when I hit $150 of profit in .02/.04 (damn, that might take a while! Didn't realise it was such a big jump). I'll move up to the $2.30+.20T SNGs when I earn $75 of profit in the 1.25T SNGs (hmm, still might take a while). If there is a game in between either of these I'll adjust as needed... you get the jist of the program.

No volume goals of any kind... I'm not going to be sitting here grinding away 4 tables of 4NL for 12 hours this Saturday unless I really want to. Most likely I'll just do this to fill some time or ease back into playing again. Also, the traffic on these two sites isn't exactly breaking any records so the going might be really slow... especially in the SNGs.

Comments? Suggestions? Videos? Yes, might be fun to see be either evolve (or crash-and-burn) as a cash-game player via video. I know for a fact it wouldn't be instructional, just observational... of course all my other videos were done the same way IMO. I'm no pro and it will especially show in a ring game.

Still... might be a blast to record it. I think my skin is thick enough.
    Last edited by RyckyRych; Jun 1st, 2011 at 01:04 AM.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

Jalopy is offline Senior Member

That sounds like a great way to keep your head in the game while you are waiting for online poker to shake the risky status in the US. Good luck with with your challenge

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

Quote Originally Posted by RyckyRych View Post
    I'm currently trying to get other smaller amounts off everything else since "Black Monday" occured.
    "Blue Monday" FYI.

However, there is still about $30 of "uncleared bonus money" in my Carbon account and about $100 on Cake that I can't withdraw since they have a $500 minimum.
    Wow, I didn't know $500 was their minimum cashout limit. This must be a recent change. That sucks.

My first idea was cash games. I actually logged two small sessions of .02/.04 6-max NL in May, 151 hands for a profit of .17, yay! My rakeback was .19 (scary huh?).
    Yes, it shows just how high the rake is at micro levels.

Good luck with your plan. But as soon as you hit the payout level you should cash out, IMO.

Just to update this.

Not much to update. Really haven't done much, been more concerned with withdrawing what I could. I still have around $160 stuck on sites that are still open for US play though.

I did play a few 1.15T SNGs on Cake in the last week, winning one. I'm 1 for 2 on Carbon in the $1.10Ts since this started so I'm up. :)

On one hand I'm itching to play, however games fill slow and I'm not a fan of the software these rooms have. On the other hand I've found other things to do and I'm not sure how much time I wanna spend in front of my computer "grinding" poker right now. No mention of cash games either... I want to play them but I always look for SNGs first. Maybe I like the definite end point to those things, IDK.

Today my wife and son are suppose to be going to a movie and I'll be alone at home after work for a little while. Maybe I can try to sit down and play a ring game or two then since I won't feel I'm making myself "unavailable".
    Last edited by RyckyRych; Jul 12th, 2011 at 04:57 PM. Reason: few = three

Tim

I wouldn't bother grinding on Cake or Carbon either. Maybe you should scratch the idea of any big challenges and just play for the sheer fun of it.

What about playing some live poker? I bet there's more people playing live in your area now than a couple of months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I wouldn't bother grinding on Cake or Carbon either. Maybe you should scratch the idea of any big challenges and just play for the sheer fun of it.

What about playing some live poker? I bet there's more people playing live in your area now than a couple of months ago.
    Challenge = Fun

I certainly meant that tongue-in-cheek. I'm by no means gonna sit here for 3-4 hours a night begging for $1 SNGs to fill. :)

However, I still like the idea of building something from scratch, just to see what happens. Too bad the online poker landscape is how it is.

Live poker? Nah, I'll stick to my free bar games every Wednesday. Live poker just has too much rake, I'm spoiled. I admit, its fun though. Still, I can't multi-table live SNGs and MTTs and I could still play ring games online. No need to drive to Daytona for that.

Queso is offline Check To The Possible

No need to drive to Daytona for that.
    Too bad. There's no doubt in my mind you could make a consistent profit playing live $1/2 no limit.

Tim

Live poker? Nah, I'll stick to my free bar games every Wednesday. Live poker just has too much rake, I'm spoiled. I admit, its fun though. Still, I can't multi-table live SNGs and MTTs and I could still play ring games online. No need to drive to Daytona for that.
    I can't relate to that. Yes, online poker has a lot going for it... but nothing beats live poker IMO. I could easily spend 7+ hours playing in a live cash game or tournament... something I never do online.

mahtay is offline Q3h-cos they were suited

Put your entire bankroll on a single table and play bingo for 15 mins-it's either cashout a few hundred or 'Adios, Cake!'
    No one said you HAVE to play like the books!
    And I can tell you, since the US has gone from Stars, the Russians and Spanish have turned up the 'any two cards' mantra. I miss you guys!
    I don't know what is Russian for "WTF is Pot Odds?" but I'm sure they say it a bit!!!!!!
    Last edited by mahtay; Jul 14th, 2011 at 04:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mahtay View Post
    No one said you HAVE to play like the books!
    I like winning so I tend to play by the book... well, my own book anyway. Doing so has generally served me well long-term.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast