Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Online Guide Section Updated

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

Default Online Guide Section Updated

I've updated the online guide section of the main site.

It includes a beginner guide:

Beginners Guide to Online Poker | Pokerology.com

And there's also some more rooms:

Online Poker Room Reviews

The best of which:

The Best Online Poker Rooms

There's some more coming soon, but I just wanted to get this up by the deadline I set, which was the end of the week.

Anyway, hope you find some of the information useful.

P.S. There are probably some errors (spelling, broken links, etc), which I'm working my way through. But if you spot any please let me know. Thanks.

Queso is offline Check To The Possible

As usual, great work Tim!

Tim

Has everyone taken the quiz yet? Interested to know your scores!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Having not read the online guide yet... 17 of 20. But I protest the wording of at least one of the questions, and I'm shocked at the answer to #20. I could have sworn it was illegal for online players to play, according to the 'unlawful internet act' or whatever it is... but it's simply that no one has ever been charged because of the pandora's box it would unleash.

(btw-- in question #3, it should read "the following" instead of "the follow."
    I have an editor's eagle eye)

I just checked out the source book that was running through my mind-- Scott Fischman's book "Online Ace"-- and he says this:

"So is online Poker legal?
    The Department of Justice says "no," citing a legal action that was enacted nearly 50 years ago to prohibit people from using their telephones to bet on sports. But no one has been prosecuted under this act to date. In fact, it's not even clear who would be prosecuted: are the sites to blame, or the players using them? Furthermore,the entire situation gets even more muddled by the fact that the major online cardrooms aren't based in the US, but in countries outside American legal jurisdiction.
    One beneficiary of the confusion has been Antigua and Barbuda, a tiny Caribbean nation that at least several dozen online gambling sites call home. In 2003, the United States complained to the World Trade Organization, demanding that these sites bar Americans from using them. The WTO initially ruled in favor of the islands, which successfully argued that the US request would violate an already-existing global trade pact, but an appellate body overturned that decision. The sites, however, are still allowed to operate.
    The legality of online poker remains a developing situation. The US has vowed to appeal the WTO's decision. But there's a basic fact that the government can't ignore-- online poker has grown into a billion dollar industry. That's a lot of cabbage, and it seems like it will only be a matter of time before the powers that be figure out how to adjust the laws to get their hands on a share of it.
    In the meantime, you can comfort yourself with the words of business and gaming lawyer Chuck Humphrey, who believes that "in today's tolerant atmosphere, the risk of being charged with a criminal misdemeanor is far less than the chance of getting a speeding ticket, and the actual penalty to befall anyone who is charged will be not much more serious than that ticket." Or as law professor and my fellow Card Player columnist I. Nelson Rose wrote, "Probably 20 million Americans make technically forbidden wagers each year. With odds like that, you are more likely to be elected governor of California than to be charged with illegal gambling."
    No one has ever been charged with a crime. Given the minor nature of the offense, and the numerous ambiguities surrounding both the law and its enforcement, no one is likely to be charged in the foreseeable future."

So, that's what I always thought. It is illegal, but so is playing the song "Short People" by Randy Newman in the state of Maryland.

It`s definitely not illegal (with the exception of a few states). I don`t know if you ever watch/listen to Perspectives Now with J Todd. He ran an interview with a US law enforcement official (I believe the guy was in the FBI) and when J challenged the guy to come up with a law against playing poker online he couldn`t. The UIGEA targets payment processors not players.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Queso View Post
    Having not read the online guide yet... 17 of 20. But I protest the wording of at least one of the questions, and I'm shocked at the answer to #20. I could have sworn it was illegal for online players to play, according to the 'unlawful internet act' or whatever it is... but it's simply that no one has ever been charged because of the pandora's box it would unleash.
    No, like DM says - it's not illegal (some states vary) and the UIGEA is aimed at the payment processors, not the players.

(btw-- in question #3, it should read "the following" instead of "the follow." I have an editor's eagle eye)
    Thanks. Corrected.

TIME is offline Reasonable bet

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Nice work, Tim. I just took the quiz and got 17 out of 20. Of course, I got the "Is it rigged" one wrong three times Guess I need to do some more "Browsing" for the 16-19 group.
    To the true gambler, money is never an end in itself, but simply a tool; as language is to thought.

Tim-- don't you want to know the other question I protest the wording of? I mean, it's fine if you don't....

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Queso View Post
    Tim-- don't you want to know the other question I protest the wording of? I mean, it's fine if you don't....
    Sure, which one?

The one that says "all new players are eligible for rakeback on sites that allow it, true or false."

"Eligible" is the word that tripped me. Sure, they're eligible. Will they get it without signing up for it through a site that provides it? No. But they are nevertheless eligible.

I'm not complaining (truly), nor do I think you should change the wording. I'm just saying, for a complete hyper-literal anal retentive such as myself, I could protest that I still got the right answer.

Which would give me 18/20.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast