Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rycky's 2010 Poker Plan

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

Default Rycky's 2010 Poker Plan

OK, I couldn't format it perfectly and it might not make sense to everyone, but here it is. I had to edit it a bit because it was too long to fit.

Feel free to ask questions!

Beginning January 1st, I will attempt to increase my playing time and volume in an effort to supplement my income through poker. Here are the rules by which I intend to go by in order to achieve this objective.

Bankroll Management: Volume Cashout and Buyin Requirements

HUSTs: payout 1% of buy-ins, 40 BIs
    3-10 players : 3%, 65
    11-20 players: 4%, 90
    21-50 players: 5%, 120
    51-99 players: 6%, 150
    100+ players : 8%, 200 (150 without ceiling)

Ceiling Cashouts: Establish a Bankroll Cap of $11000 with a soft ceiling. When the bankroll cap is exceeded, pay out 80% of the excess with the cashout and use the remaining 20% for continued bankroll growth by adding this amount to the former cap and establishing a new cap. All normal volume cashouts are paid before any ceiling cashouts can be earned and a new cap established.

Monthly Volume Goals

A. Iron Man status on Full Tilt: Need $30 of rake for a minimum of 25 days each month. Goal will be reached by playing heads-up super turbo SNGs (HUSTs).

B. Legend status on Ultimate Bet: Need $750 of rake each month. Goal will be reached by playing turbo 9-man SNGs during weekday evenings and Sunday afternoons.

C. Free Play for MTTs: No set monthly volume goal is in place for MTTs. However if I have achieved the volume goals above then I am free to play whatever games I choose within bankroll conditions for the rest of the month.

Weekly Schedule Plan

A. Play HUSTs on Full Tilt each morning during the Early Morning Happy Hour (6am-8am) until required daily volume is reached. Generally will be done before going to work on weekdays in order to take advantage of the double FTP credit. Estimated monthly volume: 750 games of $29 (or 1500 games of $14.50) HUSTs.

B. Play SNGs on Ultimate Bet most weekday evenings and Sunday afternoons. Use Wednesday as the default off-day with Monday as an alternate. Play for approximately 3 hours on each scheduled weekday night and for approximately 4 hours on Sunday afternoons. Estimated monthly volume: 312 games of $22T SNGs and 56 games at $33T SNGs.

C. Play MTTs on all sites each Saturday. There is no set volume goal for this day, however game selection will be very important. These games will be more for bankroll advancement than for their cashout value.

D. Allowances in the schedule will need to be made for certain events like the monthly Races and Rolls freerolls on Ultimate Bet and Cake, the Iron Man freeroll on Full Tilt, any TLB freerolls we may qualify for, and also for any special series events like mFTOPS, WCOOP and UBOC.

Estimated time played is approximately 30 hours per week. Considering that the average time for 2009 was close to 20-25 hours per week, this should not be very difficult. In fact, this plan should result in a better use of my time.

Methods and Tactics needed to obtain goals

HUSTs: Play in sets of two to four tables until volume goal is reached. Depending on buy-in level this should take from 20-30 minutes.

SNGs: Play six-tables with at least 1 table in each set at the $33 level, with remaining games at the $22 level. Keep the majority of games at the $22 level in an effort to qualify for weekly and monthly Diamond TLBs. A rake-played goal of $32 per weekday evening and $54 per Sunday afternoon is encouraged.

MTTs: Play as many of the games targeted below as possible.

15:00 Bodog 6.60T
    15:00 Stars 5.50T
    15:45 FTP 22T
    16:30 Carbon 16.50B
    16:50 FTP 5.50T
    17:00 Stars 7.50T
    17:00 UB 16.50T
    17:40 Stars 16.50T
    17:45 Bodog 35T
    17:45 FTP 33T
    18:15 Bodog 11UT
    18:20 UB 11T
    18:50 UB 11T
    19:00 Cake 39T
    19:30 Bodog 16.50T
    19:35 FTP 2.20RT
    20:00 UB 11B
    20:40 Stars 8.80T
    21:00 FTP 12DDA
    21:02 FTP 12DDB
    21:10 Bodog 13T
    21:20 UB 27.50
    22:30 Cake 22TB
    22:30 Bodog 22
    23:00 Cake 33T
    23:30 Bodog 11T
    23:40 Stars 27.50T
    00:00 FTP 11MM
    00:00 Bodog 33
    00:30 Cake 26T

Use games like the 12x180s and 27x45s on Stars and the 26x90KOs on Full Tilt along with any other games that may fit within the schedule and our bankroll as needed. A volume goal of at least 30 games and $500 of buy-ins is encouraged.

Cashout Expectation Example (by site)

The following monthly expectations are based on adhering to the proposed plan for HUSTs, SNG, and MTT volume. For this example we are assuming the following:

A. 16 weekend nights of SNGs on Ultimate Bet with each night consisting of 13 $22T games and two $33T games.

B. Four Sunday afternoons of SNGs on Ultimate Bet with each Sunday consisting of 18 $22T games and six $33T games.

C. Four Saturdays of MTTs with each session consisting of all the games previously listed above.

D. 25 days of HUSTs on Full Tilt with each day consisting of 30 $29 games.

Bodog MTT Buyins :$592.40
    Volume Cashout : 47.50
    Rakeback : 12.52 (23.89% effective)
    Bonuses : 15.72
    Points to Cash : 1.57
    Total Bodog Cashout :$77.32

Cake MTT Buyins :$480.00
    Volume Cashout : 38.40
    Rakeback : 13.20 (33%)
    Bonuses : ?.??
    Total Cake Cashout :$51.60

Carbon MTT Buyins :$66.00
    Volume Cashout : 5.28
    Rakeback : 1.80 (30%)
    Total Carbon Cashout: $7.08

Full Tilt MTT Buyin :$406.80, HUST Buyins $21750
    Volume Cashout : 250.04
    Rakeback : 211.90 (27%)
    $26/$75 Tokens : ~28.00
    Total FTP Cashout :$489.94

Stars MTT Buyins :$263.20
    Volume Cashout : 21.06
    Rakeback : 0.00
    Total Stars Cashout :$21.06

UB MTT Buyins :$308.00, SNG Buyins $8008.00
    Volume Cashout : 264.88
    Rakeback : 183.65 (23.29% effective)
    Bonuses : 140.00
    Points to Cash : 70.56
    Total UB Cashout :$659.09

Total Volume Cashout : 627.16
    Total Rakeback : 423.07
    Total Bonuses : 183.72
    Total Points to Cash : 72.13

Total Monthly Cashout:$1306.09

Make a cashout every Sunday evening (and possibly on Wednesdays if needed) for volume played during the previous week/period.

If all goes as planned the total cashout for the year 2010 should be no less than $15600, without ceiling cashout expectations. If we reach our bankroll cap we can expect an extra $500 in cashouts per month if we held to our estimates.

Bankroll Expectations and Goals

Assuming that over time we are able to maintain a minimum of a +2% ROI in HUSTs, +6% ROI in SNGs, and +16% ROI in MTTs we can expect the bankroll to increase by approximately $625.00 per month. This does not include any winnings from freerolls due to TLB or rakeback affiliations.

The long term bankroll goal for 2010 is to reach the $11000 ceiling in order to maximize cashouts long-term. Assuming the rate of return previously stated for each game our bankroll would increase by $7500 during the year 2010, meaning our goal is certainly in reach within the calendar year.

Yearly Volume Expectations

Based on the minimum volume expectations above:

HUSTs : 9000 games played
    $22 SNGs: 3744
    $33 SNGs: 672
    MTTs : 1440
    Total : 14856 games played, not including freerolls, events, or play above planned volume.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

Wow. Awesome stuff!

This must have taken a long time to put together. Is this similar to what you did in 2009 or is this a completely new structure for you?

Quote Originally Posted by RyckyRych View Post
    Play HUSTs on Full Tilt each morning during the Early Morning Happy Hour (6am-8am) until required daily volume is reached.
    It's official. You are a poker junkie!

mattjacknine is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Wow. Awesome stuff!
    Agreed. Really impressive.

Keep us updated, I look forward to following your progress.

malfunctioning is offline Senior Member

That is a nice workload along with working full time. Get the pot of coffee ready.

I have the same question as Tim. Is this the same structure that you have been using?

As far as 2009 went I had no specific volume plan, I just tried to play more than I did in 2008 and improve overall. I listed some goals but thats about it. I spent about a week on the specifics of my plan but its really not anything new, I'm just going to commit to playing the volume each week/month. That will be the biggest difference.

The HUSTs are actually very easy to do since its a push/fold game. You only start with 300 chips so effective stacks are never greater than 10 BBs at any time. I can play 30 of them in 15-20 minutes, 3-tabling. I did it this morning at the 7.25 level as I'm working on Bronze status for Iron Man for December.
    Last edited by RyckyRych; Dec 18th, 2009 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by malfunctioning View Post
    That is a nice workload along with working full time. Get the pot of coffee ready.

I have the same question as Tim. Is this the same structure that you have been using?
    The beauty of it is that it really won't take all that much more of my time. I already play MTTs on Saturdays and I usually do the same on Sunday afternoons. When I play on weekday nights I play around 2-3 hours now. Some weeks I play 4 nights, other weeks I might have played 1 or 2. The time is there, I'm just using my time a lot better than I use to.

I can also be flexible. As it stands now I can reach all these goals every month and have at least one day each week where I can slack off and do other things, plus a couple extra days to either play (extra money!) or if I need to I can take a day off for whatever and just switch it with another.

malfunctioning is offline Senior Member

Just a little suggestion.

From my few months playing a min of 40 hours a week. It was very easy to hit the "burn out" factor. Keep a close eye on that. It is the point at which you will probably make your worse decisions.

Outside of that, I really like your plan and goals. Might be interesting if you would run like a weekly blog on it. So we can keep up with how things are running.

Not too concerned about burnout but its still the main reason I made sure I had a "scheduled" off day each week. Plus, its not like I'm going to grind for 6-8 hours after work each night, it should be 3 hours tops. Plus, if I can finish off my monthly volume goals a little early each month I can break away from the schedule and either play some other stuff I wanna try, or step away for an extra day or two.

Still, it is good advice. I might be treating it more like a job but I don't want it to feel like a job.

I think I have a spot for a blog reserved on www.blogspot.com or somewhere. I've thought about using it, maybe if enough people would actually read it I might just use it.
    Last edited by RyckyRych; Dec 18th, 2009 at 03:19 PM.

OK, blog is created and can be found at Rycky's Poker Blog for your viewing pleasure.

Hope I can keep up with it now. :)

nomadic1 is offline Junior Member

I don't understand how you know how much you will win each month. How is this possible?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast