Thread: Cards, Chips and Tables

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

Default Cards, Chips and Tables

Some of you may have noticed that we've now published Kelli Mix's trilogy of articles for buying the perfect cards, chips and table. If you haven't seen them then here's the links:

Buying the Perfect Playing Cards
    Buying the Perfect Poker Chips
    Buying the Perfect Poker Table

One thing that wasn't mentioned in these pieces was good places to buy them. If you've bought any items from any online (or offline) sites then feel free to plug them on this thread, and possibly a review of what you ordered.

Note: This is NOT an open invitation for spammers.

Dave 'Two Chairs' is offline Captain Pedantic

At my games we use:

Kem Arrows. Still my favourite cards. I am replacing my two decks at Christmas, as they have become slightly warped but that is after more than three years of use!

ASM custom clay chips (imported to the UK from pokerchipsonline.com in the US). My choice of base colour and spot designs, real clay chips pressed on the Horsehead mold. Expensive, but I'll never need to buy chips again. I really hate poor quality poker chips :)

My own home-made poker table tops. 12mm MDF base, some carpet underlay, hard speed cloth, piano hinges, and oodles of glue and staples. These fit my oval dining room table and my second circular foldaway table exactly.

Have experimented with various poker clocks on a laptop, but now usually just use a timer on a phone.
    There are only three ways to play pocket Jacks; they are all wrong.

Hidden Content size="1">http://www.facebook.com/davesparrow

Tim

Top stuff Dave!

I'm suprised you use a timer on a phone though. Isn't it better for everyone to see the clock? What didn't you like about the laptop timers?

Dave 'Two Chairs' is offline Captain Pedantic

Nothing wrong with the laptop timers, just that there's no real problem in people occasionally asking how much time left if they really want to know and it's on a phone only.

One problem I had was that when I run two tables they are in different rooms so you can't see the clock from both rooms at once. It seemed a bit pointless to bother with the laptop when not everyone could see it anyway.

Nobody seemed that bothered about not using a laptop display so I just stopped. I could just as easily do it again if requested. Only takes a couple of minutes to set it up.
    There are only three ways to play pocket Jacks; they are all wrong.

Hidden Content size="1">http://www.facebook.com/davesparrow

JEP712 is offline Junior Member

What playing cards are recommended?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by JEP712 View Post
    What playing cards are recommended?
    I'm a bicycle card fan, but these are not good at all for poker. KEM cards are probably best for most card games. They're more expensive but are durable and of high quality.