Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is this poker suicide...

mattjacknine is offline Senior Member

Default Is this poker suicide...

...or a reasonable enough play?

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

I think the play up until the turn is fine. I would just call on the turn and not get too tricky. Semi bluffing is good, but this is a big risk. At these stakes it's less likely a player will give up their ace, and there's a high chance the villan had one of those. This also means they'll likely pay you off on the river if you do hit, which would have only cost $5.

malfunctioning is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    At these stakes it's less likely a player will give up their ace, and there's a high chance the villan had one of those. This also means they'll likely pay you off on the river if you do hit, which would have only cost $5.

That is almost an understatement. Most of my pay-days at these levels are always from those nice fellows that will not let go of their ace.

Through my experiences the only play that would be workable play here is just simply call on the turn.

At these levels if you are having to go all-in to make a convincing bluff, it will be disaster. I am not sure if it is simply the disbelief of "No way my ace is beat" or what. But, in most situations I have seen in these levels an all-in is like an invitation to calls.

TIME is offline Reasonable bet

Matt ... my vote is it's suicide. First, I'm not a big fan of going all-in on a draw especially when you "know" you're beat and have to hit to win. Yeah, you have 15 outs but to what ... the idiot end of the straight and a 5 high flush.!!! I say ...
    Last edited by TIME; Nov 16th, 2009 at 04:42 PM.
    To the true gambler, money is never an end in itself, but simply a tool; as language is to thought.

EddieRich is offline Enlightened Donkey

I think it was suicide, because you just didn't have a hand. The ace wasn't really an issue, the villian could have had and still won the pot.

One rule I am ::trying:: to follow right now is don't go all-in ( or call all-in ) unless you know you have the nut. When the Ace appeared, that added to the number of hands that dominate ( TIME's article ) your hand.

Unfortunately, I have a folder of hand histories where I did the same thing, many times.

mattjacknine is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by EddieRich View Post
    I think it was suicide, because you just didn't have a hand.
    But I did have a big draw and fold equity.

EddieRich is offline Enlightened Donkey

Yes you did, I'll give you that !

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

I vote for suicide/spew. I get preflop some, I know in cash you do sometimes have implied odds to hit a big hand. Thing is here your draw on the flop was only to the bad end of the straight, where if the 8 hits you could be drawing dead to a better straight (if the SB didn't already have it with 98).
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

Breezy is offline Feel the Breeze

100% suicide. You called a 3.5 raise with 54s against 2 players OOP. Then called another raise with the sucker end of the straight draw. Then again with a baby flush draw. Nowhere in the hand was you ever ahead.
    ​Breezy

RyckyRych is offline Retired Micro Grinder

Please, next time find an older thread to answer. I find newer topics like this one to be mundane.
    I do a new thing now. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast