Thread: Changes to Poker Stars VIP program

mattjacknine is offline Senior Member

Default Changes to Poker Stars VIP program

Poker Stars has announced a number of changes but the main ones to affect small stakes players like me are:

SilverStar VIP level will be lowered to 1,200 VPPs a month.
    GoldStar VIP level will be lowered to 3,000 VPPs a month.
    PlatinumStar VIP level will be lowered to 7,500 VPPs a month.

These changes are good news and will give us small stakes players a better shot at achieving a higher VIP Star level. Though saying that it still takes a shed-load of hands each month playing $25nl or $50nl to get out of bronze star.

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

This is good news, and Stars does have one of the better VIP/rewards programs, but it doesn't even compare to getting rakeback at other rooms. Don't get me wrong, Stars is the best room by a mile, but if you're playing cash there are better rewards elsewhere.

TIME is offline Reasonable bet

What really are the perks to the higher status levels? I know that you get some free roll tournies for PP points, gift store upgrades. I'm mainly a cash player so should I be switching sites? I have gotten as high as "Gold" and the best perk I've taken is the $285 for 25K points. Also, I don't play that much internet...preferring live play. Just wondering.
    To the true gambler, money is never an end in itself, but simply a tool; as language is to thought.

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

If you're mainly a cash game player then yes I would choose another site. The rakeback page explains it in a bit more detail:

Online Poker Rakeback Guide | Pokerology.com

As a US based player your options are limited (as you know). Full Tilt is the 2nd biggest site and has a similar standard of play to Stars - but it'll cost you less to play. Then there's the two leading sites on the Merge and Cake networks; Carbon Poker and Cake Poker. Both accept US players and offer rakeback (if you sign via Pokerology). Any of these would be a good choice, IMO.

Tim

TIME is offline Reasonable bet

Thanks, Tim
    I've been an inactive member of Full Tilt for quite some time. Don't even remember how I originally registered. I use to play at Paradise until they stopped accepting US biz. Then I went to Stars and Full Tilt but liked Stars better and never went back to Tilt. For the amount of time I spend I'm not sure I want to switch over. The rake back info was very informative...tks again.
    To the true gambler, money is never an end in itself, but simply a tool; as language is to thought.