Thread: BAY 101 Trip Report

TIME is offline Reasonable bet

Default BAY 101 Trip Report

Just returned from the San Francisco Bay area and promised you folks a trip report on BAY 101, a card club south of San Fran in San Jose, California. It is located just of the 101 Highway and hence the name BAY 101. As you pass the fountains outside and walk in through the main marble entrance you gain a sense of the scale of the club. It's quite large.

It is divided into two main sections, to the left as you enter is the "California Games" which was changed from the "Asian Games" several years ago to eliminate any ethnic flavoring to the area. A little hard to do as you hear Asians yelling loudly as they pound the tables playing Pai Gow. There is a very large Asian population in Northern California and the restaurants inside cater to their varied tastes. Good Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean and Thai food.

Let's go to the left where there are about 32 poker tables which are almost all dealing hold'em. There are a couple of Omaha High-Low 8 with a half kill $4-$8 games and all the rest is hold'em. They spread limit hold'em from $3-$6 to $80-$160. The $8-$16 game is played with a half kill which bumps it up to $12-$24. The $20-$40 and $40-$80 games are very frisky and almost always full. It is not unheard of to see Antonio Esfandiari or Phil Hellmuth in attendance at the high end tables. Both of them are from the Bay area and Hellmuth used to be a Bay 101 representative and always wore one of their hats ... until he designed his own logo or should I say until he drove off the cliff of hubris! But I digress ...

I know this group is probably more interested in no-limit and guess what? Due to a local ordinance they do not spread no-limit but they do have two spread limit formats. The first is $5 to $200 with buy-ins from $50 to $200 and three blinds of $2-$3-$5. The second format is $10 to $200 with buy-ins of a minimum of $400 and a max of $1000. Three blinds of $5-$5-$10. While it's not no-limit, it's pretty close. If you just have to have the ability to bet more than $200 on the turn of a card then this format will not boost your adrenalin but there are some really juicy pots.

Very good, friendly dealers and staff, good restaurants, lively action (California poker is much looser than Las Vegas), nice facility, and plenty of secure parking all make this a good place to riffle chips all day. All of that and I won also ... it doesn't get any better than that. I won't bore you with a long hand story but let me just briefly mention my pot of the trip. I held pocket eights and the flop comes Queen--8--8. Lordy, Lordy ... the best part was I had an opponent who held pocket Queens and thank God, did not hit a one outer! I'll let you folks figure out the rest. We were on the third hand after that one and I was still stacking chips!

All in all if you ever find yourself in that part of the world I would give BAY 101two thumbs up. You might not flop quads against a full house but you should have fun.

Remember: To the true gambler, money is never an end in itself, but simply a tool; as language is to thought.

mattjacknine is offline Senior Member

Nice report, Time, it sounds like a great place.

Flopping quads versus a full house - that doesn't happen everyday.

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

Nice report TIME - even better with the win and no bad beat stories! It sounds like a good venue.

TIME is offline Reasonable bet

Default Trip Report

Thanks guys.
    I did have some bad beats as I mentioned California games are much looser than Vegas so some "River Rats" love to see all the cards. A good place for value bets but sometimes they catch even though they shouldn't even be in. I do find "Good Beat" stories to be so much more uplifting and less 'whiney' than their negative counterparts.

"A dollar won at the poker table is infinately sweeter than a dollar earned at work"