Thread: Women in Poker

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

Default Women in Poker

New article by Kelli:

Women in Poker

I know there are a few women players lurking these forums, and have played in women only events. Now's the time to come in and give your opinions. Are they a good thing or a bad thing?

Patrick 'paddyjim' is offline Senior Member

I think that in general women are a good thing ;-)
    Don't take life too seriously - you'll never get out of it alive

darkstar is offline Junior Member

Well as a woman that plays poker, I am always pleased to see events going on that will increase our numbers! As said in the original article, there are considerably more men in the poker world than women and this makes for a very uneven playing field.

I myself am not phased by playing poker with men or women at the table, however I can understand that for many women wanting to learn and understand the game a bit better, it can be quite intimidating to enter into a tounament that is 95% men. I think that women only events are a great way to encourage more women to learn and develope their game in more comfortable surroundings for them. I have played in a few womens only tournaments and I have to say that I find it a lot harder to play against a totally female field, but the games were a lot of fun!!

I actually played the Betfred Ladies Poker Tour last year and had an absolute blast! But these events are not a total write off for the HOBS (husbands or boyfriends). My other half (no not better half) always has a good day out playing sit and go's and cash tables with all of the other men that are there to support their better halfs

I will be playing the tour again this year starting in Leeds in April and I will keep all updated in road trip reports

mattjacknine is offline Senior Member

Welcome to the forum darkstar.

Good luck in the Betfred tour, it will be great to read about how you get on.

Djinn is offline Junior Member

Hello all, especially those who whet their young teeth on Slough based poker...

I admit to being a giant hypocrite when it comes to women's tournaments. They are undoubtedly unnecessary in the sense that apart from attitude/social or even, as suggested by this nice article, genetic conditioning, there is no separation in ability to play the game of poker between men and women. These barriers may account for the low numbers of visible female players, however.

But the live game is increasingly irrelevant when it comes to talented players' livelihoods - if statistics were made public for online player numbers, I reckon there would be a much higher percentage of women playing in the comfort and non-intimidating surroundings of their own living rooms. Learning to play online removes any social pressure and you can have an avatar of a wrestler and call yourself UPayMyRent$$Donk therefore getting over any visible issues of being a woman.

As for live women-only tournaments, I disapprove in that they serve no purpose but to give male players something to chuckle about and allow people to self-segregate. Prove to me that a good number of females graduate from playing each other for what are almost always low stakes (and usually poor structured tournaments - see WSOP event) to playing any challenger at a decent level, and I will stop doing that. And change my disapproval to being based on discrimination.

Having said that, I have played a couple of women's STT events, purely because I was backed for them, because my backer saw value (note how I cunningly dodge the issue of whether female players are generally easier to play against). Male players who take issue with being excluded from a poker environment almost without exception agree that if they were in my shoes they would take the deal. So a long-standing, openly admitted hypocrisy is born, bred and continued to this day.

Having said that, there would only be a major backlash against a female-only tournament if it was given superb added value in the form of or tournament entries, or became a prestige, high-buy-in type deal. There's no harm done running women-only tournaments atm, but I don't believe they do anywhere near as much for encouraging us to play as the internet does. God bless the ability to play in one's pyjamas.
    Last edited by Djinn; Feb 16th, 2009 at 07:23 PM.

mattjacknine is offline Senior Member

Hi Djinn, welcome to the forum.

I too am not a fan of women only poker tournaments. In an age when we are trying to get away from discrimination of any kind it feels kind of a backward step to segregate in a game where it is not necessary. I can see the sense of segregating in sports where certain male characteristics give them a distinct advantage but not in a game like poker, where no amount of physical strength will increase a man's advantage.

I am tempted to play devil's advocate and suggest there should be men only events to balance things up (the organisers would probably have their homes fire bombed by women's anti-discrimination groups ) but two wrongs don't make a right.

ps. UPayMyRent$$Donk - I'm sure I lost a buy-in to him/her just the other day. I think it was the wrestler that tilted me.