Thread: Improving your Game

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

Default Improving your Game

Which part of your poker game are you looking to improve? Have any of the lessons you've read reminded you of aspects you want to work on?

I'll start - I want to work on allowing myself to go with my instict a lot more, particularly in live games. I will also be trying to not rush decisions, and to think more about the options, and to work harder and putting people on hands. And of course, ramping up the aggression.

We all have weaknesses, even the best players. What do you want to improve upon?

d7r7w7 is offline Member

Do you know Tim I was thinking about this over the weekend after my trip to Dusk Till Dawn.

Although my subject header was seriously meant as a joke - I actually wanted to post about some of my hands. One advantage about playing with new people live is that you can be whoever you want to be. If you want to be tight aggressive, you wait for your hands and hammer it....if you want to be the loose player...you can just call every pot and get lucky on an outdraw - the table soon gets the measure of you.

So, taking my trip to DTD as an example, the table already knows that I am a tight and a selective aggressive player....then I get the situation with my pocket 5s in the BB, the SB takes a shot at it. The flop is 2 K 7 9 9..after a lead out and a turn check, I make a fantastic (IMO) call. I trusted my instinct, I trusted my read and my judgement... ...so now I am a tight, selective aggressive player with a good read and difficult to bluff...

...however, the one lack of skill I have is when you sit there for 3 hours and are card dead, your stack gets shorter and shorter...which means when you find your hand, whatever that may be, you're no longer a tight player, you're a desperate player - which, again IMO, makes a call even more likely by the defending BB or a big stack with "live cards". I think I need to learn how to bluff more, choose my aggressive stealing moments better.
    Last edited by d7r7w7; Feb 8th, 2009 at 09:38 PM.
    I've got Pocket Jacks - I swear!!!

Patrick 'paddyjim' is offline Senior Member

There's an interesting article in this month's Inside Poker about what to do when you run card dead for a while.

The article suggests 5 different strategies of varying difficulty and effectiveness, namely (in ascending order of difficulty)

1) Stealing the Blinds and Antes
    2) The three-bet resteal
    3) The stop-and-go
    4) The float
    5) The squeeze play

If anybody wants further explanation on any of these I'll be happy to oblige!

Patrick

P.S. I tried the stop-and-go when 3-handed against Steve a week last Friday. Worked really well seeing as he had AA, and I had nothing!!!
    Last edited by Patrick 'paddyjim'; Feb 10th, 2009 at 12:02 AM.
    Don't take life too seriously - you'll never get out of it alive

mattjacknine is offline Senior Member

Patrick, how does the article define the stop and go?

d7r7w7 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick 'paddyjim' View Post
    If anybody wants further explanation on any of these I'll be happy to oblige!
    As long as you don't use it to your advantage (I know what you're like) I'd quite like an experienced players definitions!!
    I've got Pocket Jacks - I swear!!!

Patrick 'paddyjim' is offline Senior Member

It suggests the best time to try the stop and go is when you're quite short-stacked (M of 3-9), and you're in the blinds with a playable hand (small pair, suited connectors) facing a standard raise. Instead of pushing all-in pre-flop where your opponent is almost always going to have the odds to call, you just call pre-flop, and then shove on the flop...
    Don't take life too seriously - you'll never get out of it alive

Stefan is offline Junior Member

I could be wrong, but I've never liked the stop-and-go. Isn't the upside (villain folds a better hand postflop) negated by the downside (he gets off cheap when you are ahead)? If I have 66, for example, and the villain has overcards, I want the double-up to get me back in the game. I want him to call the shove. If I wait and shove on the flop he is going to fold his smaller pairs and missed flops, and only call when I'm crushed.

Plus when you call with a short stack in the blinds a lot of players know what you are up to, so they won't fold TT+, regardless of the flop. So you are only making money against a small range of hands - i.e. medium pairs that fold postflop.

The only time the s-a-g looks a good play to me is against a loose guy who is probably stealing. He likes to see a lot of flops, but he folds when he misses, and I have an absolutely pants hand that has no chance in a showdown.

If I don't have that info, and if I've some fold equity with M7 or more, I'd rather resteal now - and if I have M 4 or less I'd usually fold trash and try to push in first later on.