Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Online Poker Usernames

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

Default Online Poker Usernames

If you've not read David's article 'Online Poker Avatar Tells' then I recommend it:

Online Poker Avatar Tells

I'm not sure how much research David did to come to his conclusions, but I found it a funny read. He ended the piece with the line:

"Do not get me started on the stupid user names!"

So why don't we! I've often wondered why people choose certain usernames, and whether we can glean any information from it. I don't use the same username on different rooms any more, so when it comes to thinking of a name I usually look at some of the songs I have on iTunes and go from there. I was listening to The Verve and came up with 'LuckyNeonMan' which is a mix of the songs 'Lucky Man' and 'Neon Wilderness'. Lucky Man was already taken.

Anyway, then as I was playing I began to notice people were laying down more hands against me when I was bluffing, and I came to the premature conclusion that it was to do with the word Lucky being in the username. Of course I don't have enough evidence and it's impossible to confirm it as fact (with so many variables) - but I think it could be a factor. The more I played under this name the more convinced I've become. The other player might be on a bad run and see's the word 'lucky' and thinks 'this guy's probably got lucky, I fold. What do you think?

As for tells - I tend to find those with names like 'TheCrusher', 'TheTerminator', 'BullyBrian', etc, are usually the opposite. I've heard people say the opposite. What do you think? How did you come up with your online poker username or avatar?

d7r7w7 is offline Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    If you've not read David's article 'Online Poker Avatar Tells' then I recommend it:

Online Poker Avatar Tells

I'm not sure how much research David did to come to his conclusions, but I found it a funny read. He ended the piece with the line:

"Do not get me started on the stupid user names!"

So why don't we! I've often wondered why people choose certain usernames, and whether we can glean any information from it. I don't use the same username on different rooms any more, so when it comes to thinking of a name I usually look at some of the songs I have on iTunes and go from there. I was listening to The Verve and came up with 'LuckyNeonMan' which is a mix of the songs 'Lucky Man' and 'Neon Wilderness'. Lucky Man was already taken.

Anyway, then as I was playing I began to notice people were laying down more hands against me when I was bluffing, and I came to the premature conclusion that it was to do with the word Lucky being in the username. Of course I don't have enough evidence and it's impossible to confirm it as fact (with so many variables) - but I think it could be a factor. The more I played under this name the more convinced I've become. The other player might be on a bad run and see's the word 'lucky' and thinks 'this guy's probably got lucky, I fold. What do you think?

As for tells - I tend to find those with names like 'TheCrusher', 'TheTerminator', 'BullyBrian', etc, are usually the opposite. I've heard people say the opposite. What do you think? How did you come up with your online poker username or avatar?

Hi Tim - yeah I read this actually. I found it incredibly interesting. Which is why I opted to keep my user name simple...no one knows what it really means. I do find it interesting when you 3x raise with AA, standard play and you constantly get checked called after the flop of A A X by player "River_Chaser". I never paid much attention to the avatar thing.

You get the player who post pictures of themselves clearly playing live...versus people who post pictures of "WSOP" or two aces...very interesting article.

Having said that...what are we supposed to think of people like Patrick who have a picture of Dec, from Ant & Dec fame as his avatar!?!?!? Even more interesting huh!!! :-D
    I've got Pocket Jacks - I swear!!!

mattjacknine is offline Senior Member

It is an entertaining atricle and well worth a read, not least for the fact that it gets you thinking about things like avatars and usernames.

It prompted me to try and change my avatar on Poker Stars because I have had the same one for about four years but because I had already changed it once they won't allow another change. I think I might email them and see if they'll allow it considering I'm a veteran of the site (when I started playing there 10,000 players was an amazing number. Back in 2000 Paradise Poker were the market leader with 2000! How things have moved on).

On the username front I've heard it said that a poker related name often suggests a competent regular player and not just a random donk, so when choosing a new name it is probably a good idea to go for something goofy along with a wacky avatar to throw people off. I know that quite a few serious players choose a picture of a woman to try and benefit from certain stereotypes some male players are guilty of believing. Also a picture of an attractive woman might distract some male players. :o)

Of course those of us using tools like Poker Tracker and Heads Up Displays will only be fooled for a bit because a player's stats soon reveal what type of player they really are. Personally, these days, I mainly take notice of what my HUD is telling me but I probably shouldn't discount avatar and usernames tells all together, but include them in the mix.

TIME is offline Reasonable bet

Default Understanding player styles

Matt,
    1. Is that Jack--Nine suited?
    2. I assume from any position since it's a favorite?

I like Ten--Seven but it must be suited ... lol

Just goofing

1. It doesn't have to be, but it's nice if it is.

2. Of course.

No, ten - seven doesn't do it for me, even suited. Ten - eight on the other hand...now you're talking.

:o)

TIME is offline Reasonable bet

Sounds like it might be worth my while to make a road trip to Reading, UK.

I fear I might appear a tad tight by your standards. Lol

I emailed Poker Stars support and they have allowed me to change my avatar so I will no-longer have a poker related one. I also asked if I could change my username but they won't allow that.

Tim
    Tim is offline quintessential chopbuster

What's it to be then, a lucky horse shoe? a four leaf clover? If you do change it to something similar then make a note of the change over date and let's see if it makes a difference after 10,000 hands or so. Then we can say as fact that my initial observations are true. Yes that's right, it will be fact!

My new avatar will be a picture of a model steam locomotive.

I wonder what David will conclude from that type of avatar?

(Obvious set up for humourous/insulting comments.)

Djinn is offline Junior Member

This is interesting - I can't decide whether it would be beneficial to have a silly/female/aggro-looking avatar... so I have the blank one. I also turn off all of my opponents'. Am I losing small pieces of helpful info by doing this? Or am I saving myself from image-tilt when yet another ugly baby fourbets me pre or some idiot in white sunglasses tells me I am a ****?* I vote the latter.

And about characterising players - What Matt Said about HUD.

*examples taken at random; no offense intended to any posters who have these images.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast